Differentation Problem (involves product rule)

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the product rule in differentiating an equation with three terms. The speaker asks for an explanation on how to differentiate such an equation and suggests changing the equation to make it easier to use the product rule. A solution is provided using Maple software, showing that expanding the equation first and then differentiating it results in the same answer as differentiating each term separately.
Cod
Here's the equation:

F(x) = (x-1)(x-2)(x-3)

I know how to diff. using the product rule when you only have 2 equations, but not 3.I looked at the examples in my book and none of them show how you would work out this sort of problem. So if someone could give me the basic overview of how to differentiate a problem like this, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just wondering something...

Could I change the equation to read like this before diff. it:

F(x) = (x-1)(x^2-5x+6) ?

Then I could just use the product rule from there.

Last edited:
consider u,v,w as a function of x

then [tex]\frac{d}{dx}uvw = uv \frac{d}{dx}w + vw\frac{d}{dx}u + uw\frac{d}{dx}v [/tex]

Just expand it then differentiate. According to Maple, you get the same answer.

Here is when you differentiate 3 terms

> R3 := diff((x-1)*(x-2)*(x-3),x);

R3 := (x - 2) (x - 3) + (x - 1) (x - 3) + (x - 1) (x - 2)

> R4 := expand(R3);
R4 := 3 x^2 - 12 x + 11

Here is when you expand it then differentiate it

R1 := expand((x-1)*(x-2)*(x-3));
R1 := x^3 - 6 x^2 + 11 x - 6

> R2 := diff(R1,x);
R2 := 3 x^2 - 12 x + 11

You end with the same answer. Just expand it; it's much easier.

1. What is the product rule in differentiation?

The product rule is a mathematical technique used in calculus to find the derivative of a product of two or more functions. It states that the derivative of a product of two functions is equal to the first function multiplied by the derivative of the second function, plus the second function multiplied by the derivative of the first function.

2. How do you apply the product rule in differentiation?

To apply the product rule, you first identify the two functions being multiplied together. Then, you take the derivative of the first function and multiply it by the second function. Next, you take the derivative of the second function and multiply it by the first function. Finally, you add these two results together to get the derivative of the product of the two functions.

3. When is the product rule used in differentiation?

The product rule is used when differentiating functions that are a product of two or more functions. This can include polynomial expressions, trigonometric functions, exponential functions, and more. It is a fundamental rule in calculus and is often used in more complex differentiation problems.

4. What are the common mistakes made when using the product rule in differentiation?

One common mistake when using the product rule is forgetting to add the two partial derivatives together. It is important to remember that the product rule requires you to add the two derivatives, not multiply them. Another mistake is incorrectly identifying the two functions being multiplied together, which can lead to an incorrect derivative.

5. How can the product rule be applied in real-world situations?

The product rule has a wide range of applications in science and engineering. It can be used to calculate the rate of change in physical processes, such as velocity and acceleration in physics. It is also used in economics, biology, and other fields to model and analyze various systems. In real-world situations, the product rule helps us understand how small changes in different factors can affect the overall outcome.