1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiability at x=0

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

B(x)= xsin(1/x) when x is not equal to 0

= 0 when x is equal to 0

Determine if the function is differentiable at 0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I get B'(x)= sin(1/x)+cos(1/x)*(-1/x) but really do not know what should be done next.. I think for B'(x) x cannot be 0, but isn't the discontinuity removed as the function is defined to be 0 at x=0? ...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2
    So it's a piecewise function right?

What does the function have to be in order for it to be differentiable? Check with the definition of the derivative.

4. Nov 9, 2011 #3
    I think the requirements are: 1)the derivative exists at a point 2)limits approaching from both sides of that point are the same ?

So, the derivative does not exist at 0, BUT isn't it defined at 0 ? Does that mean the derivative actually exists and the function can be differentiate?

5. Nov 9, 2011 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Write the derivative as a difference quotient. f'(0) should be lim h->0 (f(h)-f(0))/h. Pick a specific sequence approaching 0, say h_n=1/(pi*n/2) for n an integer. So h_n->0 as n->infinity. Is there a limit? It's actually pretty helpful to sketch a graph of the function.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook