Differentiability of absolute value

In summary, the function f(x,y) = x(|y|^(1/2)) is differentiable at (0,0) and its Jacobian is [0 0]. The partial derivative with respect to y needs to be evaluated separately for y>0 and y<0, and the limit definition can be used to show that the limit exists.
samithie
f: R2 to R1 given by f(x,y) = x(|y|^(1/2))
show differentiable at (0,0)

so I'm using the definition lim |h| ->0 (f((0,0) + 9(h1,h2)) - f(0,0) - Df(0,0) (h1,h2)) / |h|

so first for the jacobian for f, when I'm doing the partial with respect to y, do I have to break this into the case y>0 and y<0 and show its differentiable in both cases (and maybe also have to do the same for when h2 >0 or <0) or can I use do it in one step by rewriting and by differentiating (y^2)^1/4 and. I did that and the Df(0,0) just goes away and then limit doesn't go to 0 it seems. Any help is appreciated thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are right that you need to look at the cases separately. For y>0 and h2>0, we have f(x,y) = x√y, so the partial derivative with respect to y is 1/2 x/√y. At (0, 0), this derivative is 0/0, which is indeterminate. To show that the limit exists, we can use the following limit definition:lim |h| ->0 (f((0,0) + (h1,h2)) - f(0,0)) / |h|= lim |h| ->0 (h1* √h2) / |h|= lim |h| ->0 h1 * (√h2 / |h|)= 0 * lim |h| ->0 (√h2 / |h|) = 0 Therefore, at (0, 0), f is differentiable with a Jacobian of [0 0].

What is the definition of differentiability of absolute value?

The differentiability of absolute value is a mathematical concept that refers to the smoothness of a function at a particular point. It is a measure of how well the function can be approximated by a straight line at that point.

Is the absolute value function continuous?

Yes, the absolute value function is continuous because it does not have any abrupt changes or jumps. It is a continuous function that can be drawn without lifting the pen from the paper.

Where is the absolute value function not differentiable?

The absolute value function is not differentiable at the point where the input value is equal to zero. This is because the function has a sharp point or corner at that point, and it cannot be approximated by a straight line.

What is the derivative of the absolute value function?

The derivative of the absolute value function is a piecewise function. For positive input values, the derivative is equal to 1, and for negative input values, the derivative is equal to -1. At the point where the input value is equal to zero, the derivative does not exist.

Why is the derivative of the absolute value function not defined at the point x=0?

The derivative of the absolute value function is not defined at the point x=0 because the function is not differentiable at that point. As mentioned earlier, the function has a sharp point or corner at x=0, and it cannot be approximated by a straight line, making the derivative undefined.