Proving Differentiability of f at $x_0$

In summary, we discussed the conditions for the differentiability of a function at an inner point, which are (i) the existence of a limit for the difference quotient, and (ii) the existence of a continuous function with certain properties. We also proved that these conditions are equivalent to the differentiability of the function at that point.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :giggle:

I want to prove the following:

If $x_0$ is an inner point of $D$ ($x_0 \in \text{int } D$), so the differentiability of $f$ at $x_0$ is equivalent to each of the following two conditions.
(i) $\exists \alpha\in \mathbb{C}$ : $\forall \epsilon>0 \ \exists \delta>0\ \forall x\in B(x_0,\delta): \ |f(x)-f(x_0)-\alpha(x-x_0)|\leq \epsilon |x-x_0|$
(ii) There is a $\delta>0$, $\alpha\in \mathbb{C}$ and $r\in B(x_0, \delta)\rightarrow \mathbb{C}$ continuous at $x_0$, $r(x_0)=0$ such that $\forall x\in B(x_0, r): f(x)=f(x_0)+\alpha (x-x_0)+r(x)(x-x_0)$.
The definition is :

Let $D\subset \mathbb{C}$ and let $x_0\in D$ be an inner point of $D$, i.e. $D$ is a neighbourhood of $x_0$, i.e. there is $r>0$ with $B(x_0,r)\subset D$.
Let $f : D \rightarrow \mathbb{C}$.
$f$ is differentiable at $x_0$, if $\displaystyle{\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}}$ exists.
To show (i) to we define as $\alpha$ this limit? :unsure:

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
To show (i) to we define as $\alpha$ this limit?
Hey mathmari!

That seems as a good approach yes. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
That seems as a good approach yes. (Nod)

So the direction $\Rightarrow$ is :

Suppose that $f$ is differentiable at $x_0$. Then $\displaystyle{\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}}$ exists, i.e. there is $\alpha\in \mathbb{C}$ such that $\displaystyle{\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}=\alpha}$, i.e. $\forall \epsilon>0 \ \exists \delta>0\ \forall x\in B(x_0,\delta)$ such that $\left |\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}-\alpha\right |\leq \epsilon \Rightarrow \left |f(x)-f(x_0)-\alpha (x-x_0)\right |\leq \epsilon |x-x_0|$.

So we have proven statement (i).

Could you give me a hint for (ii) ? :unsure:

mathmari said:
Could you give me a hint for (ii) ?
We have $f(x)-f(x_0)-\alpha(x-x_0)=r(x)(x-x_0)$ don't we? 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
We have $f(x)-f(x_0)-\alpha(x-x_0)=r(x)(x-x_0)$ don't we? 🤔

How do we get that $r(x)$ ? :unsure:

mathmari said:
How do we get that $r(x)$ ?
We define it.
Let $r(x)=\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)-\alpha(x-x_0)}{x-x_0}$ and $r(x_0)=0$ on $B(x_0,\delta)$.
Can we prove that $r$ is continuous?
What did continuous mean again? 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
We define it.
Let $r(x)=\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)-\alpha(x-x_0)}{x-x_0}$ and $r(x_0)=0$ on $B(x_0,\delta)$.
Can we prove that $r$ is continuous?
What did continuous mean again? 🤔

We have that $$\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}r(x)=\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)-\alpha(x-x_0)}{x-x_0}\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}=\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}-\alpha=\alpha-\alpha=0=r(x_0)$$ So $r$ is continuous at $x_0$. :unsure:

That means that we have proven in that way the statement (ii).

Last edited by a moderator:
As for the other direction, do we have to show that from (i) the differentiability follows and from (ii) the differentiability follows also?

:unsure:

mathmari said:
As for the other direction, do we have to show that from (i) the differentiability follows and from (ii) the differentiability follows also?
Yep. 🤔

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Yep. 🤔

We suppose that (i) holds. Then $ |f(x)-f(x_0)-\alpha(x-x_0)|\leq \epsilon |x-x_0| \Rightarrow \left |\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)-\alpha(x-x_0)}{x-x_0}\right |\leq \epsilon \Rightarrow \left |\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}-\alpha\right |\leq \epsilon $.
This is the definition of $\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}=\alpha$, which means that $f$ is differentiable in $x_0$.

We suppose that (ii) holds. Then $ f(x)=f(x_0)+\alpha (x-x_0)+r(x)(x-x_0) \Rightarrow \frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}=\alpha +r(x)$. Taking the limit we get $\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}\frac{f(x)-f(x_0)}{x-x_0}=\lim_{x\rightarrow x_0}(\alpha +r(x))=\alpha$, which means that $f$ is differentiable in $x_0$. Is everything correct? :unsure:

Looks correct to me. (Nod)

Klaas van Aarsen said:
Looks correct to me. (Nod)

Great! Thank you very much! (Star)

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable at a point?

For a function f to be differentiable at a point x0, it means that the function has a well-defined derivative at that point. This means that the function is smooth and continuous at that point, and the slope of the tangent line at that point can be determined.

2. How do you prove differentiability of a function at a point?

To prove differentiability of a function f at a point x0, you need to show that the limit of the difference quotient (f(x) - f(x0)) / (x - x0) exists as x approaches x0. This limit represents the slope of the tangent line at x0, and if it exists, then the function is differentiable at that point.

3. Can a function be differentiable at a point but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable at a point if it is not continuous at that point. In order for a function to have a well-defined derivative at a point, it must also be continuous at that point. If a function is not continuous at a point, then it cannot have a derivative at that point.

4. Is it possible for a function to be differentiable at a point but not differentiable on an interval?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be differentiable at a point x0, but not differentiable on an interval containing x0. This can occur if the function is not continuous at some other point within the interval, or if the limit of the difference quotient does not exist for some values of x within the interval.

5. How can you use the definition of differentiability to prove differentiability of a function at a point?

You can use the definition of differentiability to prove differentiability of a function at a point by showing that the limit of the difference quotient exists and is equal to the slope of the tangent line at that point. This can be done by using algebraic manipulation and the properties of limits to simplify the difference quotient and evaluate the limit.