1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiable function

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    :smile: For all real numbers x, f is a differentiable function such that f(-x) = f(x). Let f(p) = 1 and f'(p) = 5 for some p>0.

a) Find f'(-p).
    b)FInd f'(0).
    c)If ß1 and ß2 are lines tangent to the graph of f at (-p,1) and (p,1) respectibely, and if ß1 and ß2 intersect at point Q, find the x and y coordinates of Q in terms of p.

SO basically the week we did this stuff I was out with pneumonia for 6 days. Sucks, but know I am stuck with this assignment sheet. I pretty much don't know where to begin on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2005 #2

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There was a very similiar problem in another forum, and you might be the same person. :confused:

Go check it out, I think it's in General Math. Completely identical.

4. Dec 14, 2005 #3
    You might consider:

Since f(-x) = f(x), this makes f an even function, i.e., symmetric about the y axis..

symmetry should say something about the value of the slope at equal distances from x=0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?