Is the Function f(x) Differentiable at x=0 and x=1?

In summary, the function f(x) is defined as (x+1)/(x-1) for x ≤ 0, x2-2x+1 for 0 < x < 1, and ln(x) for x ≥ 1. Through analysis of the limit for x→0 and x→1, it is determined that f(x) is not differentiable at 0, but is differentiable for all other real numbers.
destinc
f(x)= x=1/x-1 if x ≤ 0
x^2-2x +1 if 0 < x < 1
ln x if x ≥ 1

Here's what I have so far
lim f(x)= lim x+1/x-1= -1, LHL= -1
x →0- x→0-
lim f(x)= lim x^2-2x+1= (1/2)^2 - [(2)1/2] +1= 1/4, RHL= 1/4
x→0+ x→0+
RHL ≠ LHL ∴ f(x) is not differentiable @ 0

Now I know I need to test x=1 for differentiability, but I am stuck on how to do that
I can take f ' (x)= 1/x which is continuous for all except 0, but not sure how to test limits
since there is no LHL with x ≥ 1

Physics news on Phys.org
destinc said:
f(x)= x=1/x-1 if x ≤ 0
x^2-2x +1 if 0 < x < 1
ln x if x ≥ 1

Here's what I have so far
lim f(x)= lim x+1/x-1= -1, LHL= -1
x →0- x→0-
lim f(x)= lim x^2-2x+1= (1/2)^2 - [(2)1/2] +1= 1/4, RHL= 1/4
x→0+ x→0+
RHL ≠ LHL ∴ f(x) is not differentiable @ 0

Now I know I need to test x=1 for differentiability, but I am stuck on how to do that
I can take f ' (x)= 1/x which is continuous for all except 0, but not sure how to test limits
since there is no LHL with x ≥ 1
Use of parentheses is needed for your expressions to say what I think you mean for them to say.

I think you mean:

f(x) =
(x+1)/(x-1) , if x ≤ 0
x2-2x +1 , if 0 < x < 1
ln x , if x ≥ 1​

Your limit for x→0+ is not correct. It's not 1/4.
[tex]\lim_{x\to 0^+}(x^2-2x +1) = 1[/tex]

What is [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{\,x\to 1^-}(x^2-2x +1)\ \ ?[/itex]

What is [itex]\displaystyle \lim_{\,x\to 1^+}\ln(x)\ \ ?[/itex]

Thanks, you are correct about the setup of f(x).
I still get 1/4 when I plug 1/2 into x^2 - 2x + 1
1/2^2= 1/4, 2(1/2)=1
1/4 -1 + 1= 1/4
The limits set up for 1 helps, for some reason I thought I couldn't use the polynomial, but I finally found it in my notes.
Thank you

nvrmind previous post about RHL, I see my mistake.
So,
for the second part, I get
lim (x^2 - 2x +1)= 0
x→1-

lim lnx= 0
x→1+
Which means f(x0 is differentiable at 1 and final answer is
f(x) is differentiable for all real numbers x≠0
Correct?

Yes, That is correct !

1. What is a differentiable function?

A differentiable function is a mathematical function that has a well-defined derivative at every point in its domain. This means that the function is smooth and has a unique slope at every point.

2. How is a differentiable function different from a non-differentiable function?

A differentiable function can be thought of as a "continuous" function, meaning that the graph of the function does not have any sharp corners or breaks. On the other hand, a non-differentiable function may have these sharp corners or breaks, and the derivative may not exist at certain points.

3. What is the significance of differentiable functions in mathematics and science?

Differentiable functions are important in mathematics and science because they allow us to model and analyze real-world phenomena. They also play a crucial role in calculus, which is used in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics.

4. Can a function be differentiable at only some points in its domain?

Yes, a function can be differentiable at some points and not at others. For example, a function may be differentiable everywhere except at a single point where there is a sharp corner or a discontinuity. In these cases, the function is still considered differentiable as long as it has a well-defined derivative at all other points in its domain.

5. How can we determine if a function is differentiable?

A function is differentiable if its derivative exists at every point in its domain. To determine if a function is differentiable, we can use the rules of differentiation and check if the limit of the difference quotient exists at each point. If the limit exists, then the function is differentiable at that point. If the limit does not exist, then the function is not differentiable at that point.