1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiable functions of x

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose u and v are differentiable functions of x. Use the given values of the functions and their derivatives to find the value of the indicated derivative.
    u(1)=2, u'(1)=-7, v(1)=7,v'(1)=-2
    d/dx (uv) at x =1

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2

gb7nash

Homework Helper

What have you tried?

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Hint
    2. Relevant equations
    look for the equations you use when you have to differentiate a combination of two functions... one of them looks like your problem.

5. Oct 29, 2011 #4
    I get d/x(uv)=(2)(-2) + (7)(-7) = -53 but I'm not applying the 1 anywhere that I know of here. as in u(1), does anyone have an example that could help me?

6. Oct 29, 2011 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In your answer (2)(2) + (7)(-7), where did the 2 come from? What about the -2? Where did you get the 7? Ditto for the -7.

RGV

7. Oct 29, 2011 #6
    That answer looks correct to me. You are applying the 1. The equation for the derivative of the product of two functions is u*v' + v*u'. In your case, you have u(1)*v'(1) + v(1)*u'(1) = (2)(-2) + (7)(-7) = -53. This is d/dx(uv) evaluated at x=1.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook