What is a Differential Structure on a Manifold?

In summary: This means that the two manifolds are essentially the same, even though their atlases are not compatible. This is what is meant by a one-dimensional manifold having only one differential structure up to diffeomorphism.
LearningDG
Hi,
I just started learning differential geometry. Got some questions. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Consider the one-dimensional manifold represented by the line y = x for x<0 and y = 2x for x>= 0. Now if I consider the altas with two charts p(x, y)=x for x<-1 and q(x,y)=y for x>-2. The transition map is C-infinity in (-2,-1).
Next I consider another altas with r(x,y)=x for x<1 and s(x,y)=y for x>-1. The transition is not differentiable at 0 inside (-1,1).

Can I say I've defined two differential structures of the same manifold?
But what does it mean by a one-deminsional manifold having only one differential structure up to diffeomorphism?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
LearningDG said:
Hi,
I just started learning differential geometry. Got some questions. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Consider the one-dimensional manifold represented by the line y = x for x<0 and y = 2x for x>= 0. Now if I consider the altas with two charts p(x, y)=x for x<-1 and q(x,y)=y for x>-2. The transition map is C-infinity in (-2,-1).
Next I consider another altas with r(x,y)=x for x<1 and s(x,y)=y for x>-1. The transition is not differentiable at 0 inside (-1,1).

No, since the transition map for the second atlas is not differentiable. So it will not be a smooth atlas.

But what does it mean by a one-deminsional manifold having only one differential structure up to diffeomorphism?

It involves a notion of maximal atlas. It's certainly true that atlases are not unique. For example, if we define p(x,y)=x for x<-2 in the first atlas, then we would have obtained a different atlas. But the differential structure doesn't change: we will have the same differentiable maps.
To solve this, we see that every smooth atlas generates a maximal smooth atlas. We say that two manifolds are the same if their maximal smooth atlas is the same. And it turns out that one-dimensional manifolds have only one maximal smooth atlas.

Thanks Micromass! But I still got some questions.

micromass said:
No, since the transition map for the second atlas is not differentiable. So it will not be a smooth atlas.

That's exactly what I mean by two structures, viz., not smooth in one altas but smooth in the other. Or, should the transition map at least be C1? Then may be put this way, change my representation to a function which is smooth everywhere but only C1 at x = 0. Using the same two altas. The first altas A1 is C-inifinity. According to my understand, the maximal atlas consists of all other altas compatible A1. I can keep it C-infinity provided I don't add charts overlapping at x = 0. For my second altas A2, I can also extend it to a maximal C-1 atlas.

Are these two called different differential structures of the same manifold?

LearningDG said:
Thanks Micromass! But I still got some questions.

That's exactly what I mean by two structures, viz., not smooth in one altas but smooth in the other. Or, should the transition map at least be C1? Then may be put this way, change my representation to a function which is smooth everywhere but only C1 at x = 0. Using the same two altas. The first altas A1 is C-inifinity. According to my understand, the maximal atlas consists of all other altas compatible A1. I can keep it C-infinity provided I don't add charts overlapping at x = 0. For my second altas A2, I can also extend it to a maximal C-1 atlas.

Are these two called different differential structures of the same manifold?

Well, in order to have a differentiable manifold, your transition maps should at least be C1 (some authors even demand smoothness).
What you're talking about are topological manifolds. There the transition maps don't need to be C1. And I'm afraid that your two atlasses determine thesame topological manifold.

Thanks micromass!
Yes, they determine the same topological manifold. What I am not sure is if I have constructed two maximal altas of it which are not compatible (say, one is C1 and the other is smooth), can I say these are two differential structures? If yes, I guess mathematicians have proved that all the C-p altas (p>0) are diffeomorphic (meaning C-infinity diffeomorphic?). When we say two manifolds are diffeomorphic, we don't require each altas to be C-infinity themselves, right?

LearningDG said:
Thanks micromass!
Yes, they determine the same topological manifold. What I am not sure is if I have constructed two maximal altas of it which are not compatible (say, one is C1 and the other is smooth), can I say these are two differential structures? If yes, I guess mathematicians have proved that all the C-p altas (p>0) are diffeomorphic (meaning C-infinity diffeomorphic?). When we say two manifolds are diffeomorphic, we don't require each altas to be C-infinity themselves, right?

This depends on the definitions we use. Some authors do require each atlas to be C-infinity. For others, C1 is good enough.
So for some, diffeomorphic is between C-infinity atlases, for others, it will be between C1-atlases. Check the definitions in the beginning of each book to see what the author is working with...

LearningDG said:
Hi,

Thanks!

Two atlases may not be compatible yet the two differentiable manifolds may be diffeomorphic.

The classic example is the atlases with single charts, x, and x^3,on the real line. These atlases are not compatible yet the two manifolds are diffeomorphic. The map x -> x^1/3 form the x atlas manifold to the x^3 atlas manifold is a diffeomorphism - I think.

The definition of differentiable manifold only requires that the transition functions be differentiable - maybe continuously - but there are more special differentiable manifolds whose charts are required to be C^r for r>1 and also smooth manifolds where the transition functions are infinitely differentiable. There are also analytic manifolds where the transition functions are analytic.

There are theorems on when C^r manifolds have diffeomorphic smooth structures but I am not educated in them. Further there are topological manifolds that have no compatible differentiable sub-atlas. Also on some topological manifolds there are smooth structures that are not diffeomorphic.

there is also the idea of a combinatorial structure on a topological manifold. on a smooth manifold a combinatorial structure is called smooth if it derives from a smooth triangulation. There are examples of triangulations of topological manifolds that do not come from any smooth triangulation.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Lavinia.
So correct me if I am wrong:
For the same manifold, if I have two different atlas, say one is Cn and another is Cm for general m,n, which are not compatible, then I can say these are two different differential structures.
Then the fact that for a manifold with dimension<4, there is only one differential structure means one can always construct a diffeomorphism between the two atlas so that the map from one the other is infinitely differentiable.

LearningDG said:
Thanks a lot Lavinia.
So correct me if I am wrong:
For the same manifold, if I have two different atlas, say one is Cn and another is Cm for general m,n, which are not compatible, then I can say these are two different differential structures.
Then the fact that for a manifold with dimension<4, there is only one differential structure means one can always construct a diffeomorphism between the two atlas so that the map from one the other is infinitely differentiable.

I believe that two atlases may be incompatible yet the manifolds may be diffeomorphic.

The example I gave on the real line illustrates this. If a manifold has a C^r structure then sometimes it will have a C^r+K substructure. i think if r is large enough then the manifold will have a smooth substructure but don't quote me on this.

1. What is a differentiable manifold?

A differentiable manifold is a mathematical concept used in geometry and topology to describe a space that is locally similar to Euclidean space but may have a more complex global structure. It is a generalization of the concept of a smooth curve or surface to higher dimensions.

2. How is a differentiable manifold different from a regular manifold?

A differentiable manifold is a type of manifold that is equipped with a smooth structure, meaning that it has well-defined tangent spaces at each point. This allows for the definition of differentiable functions and the calculation of derivatives, which is not possible on a regular manifold.

3. What are some examples of differentiable manifolds?

Some common examples of differentiable manifolds include spheres, tori, and projective spaces. Other examples include surfaces such as the Mobius strip and the Klein bottle, as well as more abstract spaces such as Lie groups and Grassmann manifolds.

4. How are differentiable manifolds used in physics?

Differentiable manifolds are used in physics to model the space-time continuum in Einstein's theory of general relativity. They also play a crucial role in the study of dynamical systems and chaos theory, and are used in many other areas of physics, including quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.

5. Are there any real-world applications of differentiable manifolds?

Yes, differentiable manifolds have numerous real-world applications, particularly in the fields of computer graphics, robotics, and computer vision. They are also used in engineering and optimization problems, as well as in data analysis and machine learning.