1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differentiable Scalar Field

1. Mar 1, 2012 #1
    How to prove that [itex]\nabla[/itex] x ([itex]\phi[/itex][itex]\nabla[/itex][itex]\phi[/itex]) = 0?
    ([itex]\phi[/itex] is a differentiable scalar field)

I'm a bit confused by this "differentiable scalar field" thing...

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Are you saying that you do not know what a "differentiable scalar field" means? A "scalar" is simply a number, rather than a vector. This is just saying that [itex]\Phi(x, y, z)[/itex] is a (differentiable) function that returns a number for each point (x,y,z)- exactly the kind of function you are used to working with!

And, of course, [itex]\nabla \Phi[/itex] is the vector function
    [tex]\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial y}\vec{j}+ \frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial z}\vec{k}[/tex]

so that [itex]\Phi\nabla\Phi[/itex] is that vector multiplied by the number [itex]\Phi[/itex]:
    [tex]\Phi\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial x}\vec{i}+ \Phi\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial y}\vec{j}+ \Phi\frac{\partial\Phi}{\partial z}\vec{k}[/tex]
    so is a "vector valued" function- it returns that vector at each point (x, y, z).

Finally,
    [tex]\nabla\times(\Phi\nabla\Phi)[/tex]
    is the "curl" of that vector valued function.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. Mar 1, 2012 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi!

The way to proof such an expression is to write it out into x, y, and z components and simplify it (as HallsofIvy is suggesting).

As an alternative you can use the curl identities that you can find for instance on wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curl_(mathematics)#Identities

5. Mar 2, 2012 #4
    Thank you! Just figured out how to solve this!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook