Real-Life Signals: Are They Infinitely Continuous & Differentiable?

In summary, signals from practice do not satisfy the Dirichlet conditions. They are differentiable, but Riemann-integrable. They can be filtered, but the higher frequency noise makes it difficult to find the signal.
RaduAndrei
Are all real life signals infinitely continuous and differentiable?

I'm thinking yes because a finite discontinuity in one of the derivatives would imply infinite to take place in the next higher-order derivative. And infinite means infinite energy.

Physics news on Phys.org
I got it. They are.

RaduAndrei said:
I got it. They are.
I would argue that the question is not well posed or that the answer is "we do not know".

We model the world in terms of quantities that are continuous. As long as we are working in the model, that normally means that we have no infinities to deal with. [Or at least we hope that the set of situations where we could run into infinities, singularities or discontinuities is of measure zero]. So one might be tempted to say that all signals are continuous.

But all of our measurements have finite precision. We can never measure a signal accurately enough so that the question of whether or not it is continuous and differentiable can be answered by experiment.

I'm not saying to go right to the quantum level where the energy is discretized.

I say in the general sense. If a real signal would have one of its derivatives not differentiable, then the next higher-order derivative (which is also a real signal) would be infinite at some points. And for a signal to have an infinite value, it would take an infinite energy.
I could argue like this. All real signals are continuous and differentiable. The first derivative of a real signal is also a real signal. But all real signals are continuous and differentiable. Thus, the first derivative is also continuous and differentiable. And so on.There was a problem with the quantum theory in the past when the theory gave infinite values but the experiments gave finite values. Then came Feynman to solve the puzzle and the new theory gave finite values as well.

Last edited:
It depends on what you mean by signal. Fundamental particles like electrons seem in some ways to be point particles, so the mass/energy/charge distribution is not continuous. General relativity breaks down because the stress-energy is not continuous, so maybe space-time itself is not continuous. But this is getting into speculation.

By signal I mean an electronic signal that you can process with the usual analog and digital processing techniques: voltages, currents.
Also, signals like sounds, temperature, pressure etc that you can convert into electronic signals.

These kind of signals.
Signals that have a Fourier transform.

I'm not going into the quantum realm.

You've basically restricted yourself into an answer which is ultimately meaningless. You are asking, "is continuum mechanics continuous?"

Well, I always see these statements:

"Usually, the signals from practice satisfy Dirichlet conditions"
"Usually, the signals from practice are of bounded variation".
"Usually, the signals from practice are differentiable and Riemann-integrable"

So, I always see "usually".

Thus, what signal from practice does not satisfy Dirichlet conditions? Or what signal from practice is not differentiable and Riemann-integrable?

I don't think it is meaningless. Any question is a good question.

RaduAndrei said:
Are all real life signals infinitely continuous and differentiable?
From the standpoint of analog electronics: No! Retrieving a clean signal from a noisy transmission channel is not trivial. And - if you try to differentiate such a signal (which means running it through a high-pass filter) you almost always end up with more noise (to be more precise, you S/N ratio deteriorates).

I don't know if we are referring to the same differentiation. I'm talking about the plain old derivative. For example, the square waveform has infinite derivative at every discontinuity point.

RaduAndrei said:
I don't know if we are referring to the same differentiation. I'm talking about the plain old derivative. For example, the square waveform has infinite derivative at every discontinuity point.
The more derivatives you take, the more sensitive the resulting value is to small variations in the original signal over small periods of time. i.e. to high frequency noise.

This figure shows some raw measurement data (the signal delay through a communications network). There is some sense in it somewhere (the expected signal delay), but how to find it in all the noise is a major headache.
upload_2015-10-23_22-16-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-23_22-14-13.png
    upload_2015-10-23_22-14-13.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 416
Ok. So it is very ugly. But, still, if we zoom in then we would see a continuous and differentiable signal.

I mean. Pretend that the above graph is the movement of a point on a 1D axis. It moves very fast. It goes from a positive derivative to a negative derivative incredibely quickly. But still the derivative is not infinite at any point in that graph. Infinite derivative means infinite velocity which would mean infinite energy.

That graph as ugly as it looks it is still a physical signal which is continuous and differentiable.

RaduAndrei said:
Ok. So it is very ugly. But, still, if we zoom in then we would see a continuous and differentiable signal.

I mean. Pretend that the above graph is the movement of a point on a 1D axis. It moves very fast. It goes from a positive derivative to a negative derivative incredibely quickly. But still the derivative is not infinite at any point in that graph. Infinite derivative means infinite velocity which would mean infinite energy.
You said "pretend". We can pretend that there is infinite energy. That's not a problem.

To be picky, there is no such thing as an infinite derivative. There can be a derivative which is unbounded over an interval or a point at which the derivative is undefined. But there is no point at which it is infinite. Nor does the derivative of a quantity necessarily relate to a velocity. Nor does an unbounded velocity automatically equate with unbounded energy -- as long as the "velocity" is that of a mathematically defined point rather than a physical object, it can go as fast as it likes and its energy is still zero.

We cannot zoom in infinitely on a real signal without violating the prohibition about not involving the subtleties of quantum mechanics. We cannot even zoom in that far when trying to talk about, for instance, the atmospheric pressure in a small region which may or may not contain a nitrogen molecule at any particular [very small] time interval.

The infinitive derivative exists in the sense of generalized functions like Dirac's delta. So in a position vs time graph, a finite discontinuity would be the same as the particle is teleporting. But for this it would need an infinite velocity. Also, the capacitor's voltage can't change instantaneously because that would mean an infinite current.

As for the quantum mechanics. Ok. Not infinitely differentiable. But differentiable until quantum effects start to appear.

RaduAndrei said:
But, still, if we zoom in then we would see a continuous and differentiable signal.
No. The data points are measurements of the signal delay through a communication network. The measurements are discrete. The measurement noise is due to delays both in the end nodes and through the network.

I'm not talking about measurements, about digital signals. I see that I said above something about digital processing techniques. My mistake.

I am talking about purely analog signals that are from real life.

1. What are real-life signals?

Real-life signals are any measurable physical quantity that varies over time or space. Examples include sound waves, temperature, and stock prices.

2. Are real-life signals infinitely continuous?

The answer to this question is dependent on the specific signal in question. Some signals, such as sound waves, are considered to be infinitely continuous because they can theoretically have an infinite number of values at any given time. However, other signals, such as stock prices, may have discrete changes and are not considered infinitely continuous.

3. Can real-life signals be differentiable?

Again, this depends on the specific signal. In general, a signal is considered differentiable if it has a well-defined derivative at every point. Some signals, such as smooth sound waves, are differentiable, while others, like a stock market crash, may not have a well-defined derivative at certain points.

4. How are real-life signals used in science and technology?

Real-life signals are used in a variety of scientific and technological applications. They can be analyzed and manipulated to reveal patterns and trends, and can also be used to control and regulate various systems. For example, real-life signals are used in medical devices to monitor patients' vital signs, and in telecommunications to transmit and receive information.

5. What are the limitations of real-life signals?

One limitation of real-life signals is their susceptibility to noise and interference. This can make it difficult to accurately measure and interpret the signal. Additionally, some signals may be affected by external factors, such as environmental conditions, which can also impact their accuracy. Another limitation is that not all signals can be fully captured and represented, as some may be infinitely continuous or non-differentiable.