1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Amplifier, Single-Sided

1. Oct 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to calculate Vo in the image of the circuit (bitmap image link follows):

All the information provided is in that diagram - since we are studying differential amplifiers, I assume all the beta values are equal.

2. Relevant equations

IC = BIB
    IE = (B+1)IC

3. The attempt at a solution

I understand that this is a single-sided diff. amp., single-sided, which means I should start with a DC analysis and then replace with an equivalent circuit. However, most examples I have seen (actually, all) have an RE in place of the whole lower transistor circuit...so I don't know how to go about solving for the current, which I would normally get by 12 - 0.7 = IRE.

I saw a suggestion that I use ro, but I don't have that value, and don't think I can calculate it.

I also saw this described as having a constant current source, but then it hopped over all the steps and I didn't know how to use that knowledge.

Any help with a starting point for this question would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?