Differential calculus question (Mean value theorem)

In summary, the MVT states that there exists a w such that: f'(w) = \frac{f(x*) - f(.7)}{x* - .7} = \frac{0 - C}{x* - .7}
janiexo
You are given the following information about the function f(x):
i) There is an x-value x* approximately equal to 0.8 such that f(x*)=0
ii) f(0.7) = C is negative
iii) m1 < f'(x) < m2 for 0.7 < x < 0.9 where m1 and m2 are positive constants

Apple the Mean Value Theorem to f(x) on the interval [0.7,x*] to find upper and lower bounds (in terms of m1, m2 and C) for x*

I've been really struggling to understand the MVT and have been at this question for a while... i just can't seen to work it out though and end up going round in circles :frown: I have a test coming up so i really want to try to get my head around the MVT.

Physics news on Phys.org
janiexo said:
You are given the following information about the function f(x):
i) There is an x-value x* approximately equal to 0.8 such that f(x*)=0
ii) f(0.7) = C is negative
iii) m1 < f'(x) < m2 for 0.7 < x < 0.9 where m1 and m2 are positive constants

Apple the Mean Value Theorem to f(x) on the interval [0.7,x*] to find upper and lower bounds (in terms of m1, m2 and C) for x*

I've been really struggling to understand the MVT and have been at this question for a while... i just can't seen to work it out though and end up going round in circles :frown: I have a test coming up so i really want to try to get my head around the MVT.
By the Mean Value Theorem, there exists some w between .7 and x* such that:

[tex]f'(w) = \frac{f(x*) - f(.7)}{x* - .7} = \frac{0 - C}{x* - .7}[/tex]

Since m1 < f'(w) < m2,

[tex]m1 < \frac{- C}{x* - .7} < m2[/tex]

You should be able to work out the upper and lower bounds of x* from that.

AM

Great, that's what I did, only I keep getting the answer 0.7-C/m1 < x* < 0.7 - C/m2 but the actual answer is 0.7-C/m1 > x* > 0.7 - C/m2. I'm probably making some stupid mistake, but this is what I did:

m1 < -C/(x*-0.7) < m2
1/m1 > (x*-0.7)/-C > m2 (i changed the signs because i took the reciprocol)
-C/m1 < (x*-0.7) < -C/m2 (i changed the signs because * by a negative number)
0.7-C/m1 < x* < 0.7-C/m2

Can you tell me where I fudged up? It's probably really obvious but I can't see it :(

-C is positive

janiexo said:
Great, that's what I did, only I keep getting the answer 0.7-C/m1 < x* < 0.7 - C/m2 but the actual answer is 0.7-C/m1 > x* > 0.7 - C/m2. I'm probably making some stupid mistake, but this is what I did:

m1 < -C/(x*-0.7) < m2
1/m1 > (x*-0.7)/-C > m2 (i changed the signs because i took the reciprocol)
-C/m1 < (x*-0.7) < -C/m2 (i changed the signs because * by a negative number)
0.7-C/m1 < x* < 0.7-C/m2

Can you tell me where I fudged up? It's probably really obvious but I can't see it :(
Take each inequality separately and do the algebra to separate x*.

[tex]m1 < \frac{-C}{(x*-0.7)}[/tex]

[tex]x* - .7 < \frac{-C}{m1}[/tex]

[tex]x* < .7 - \frac{C}{m1}[/tex]

Similarly:

[tex]x* > .7 - \frac{C}{m2}[/tex]

so:
[tex].7 - \frac{C}{m1} > x* > .7 - \frac{C}{m2}[/tex]

AM

Thank you :)

What is the Mean Value Theorem in differential calculus?

The Mean Value Theorem is a fundamental theorem in differential calculus that states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval [a,b] and differentiable on the open interval (a,b), then there exists at least one point c in the interval (a,b) where the slope of the tangent line to the function at c is equal to the average rate of change of the function over the interval [a,b]. In other words, there exists a point where the instantaneous rate of change is equal to the average rate of change over the given interval.

How is the Mean Value Theorem used in differential calculus?

The Mean Value Theorem is often used to prove other theorems in differential calculus, such as the Rolle's Theorem and the Intermediate Value Theorem. It is also used in various applications, such as finding maximum and minimum values of a function, and in optimization problems.

What are the conditions for the Mean Value Theorem to hold?

The Mean Value Theorem requires that the function is continuous on the closed interval [a,b] and differentiable on the open interval (a,b). Additionally, the function must also satisfy the condition that the endpoints of the interval have the same function values, meaning that f(a) = f(b).

Can the Mean Value Theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the Mean Value Theorem can only be applied to functions that satisfy the given conditions, namely being continuous on a closed interval and differentiable on an open interval. Additionally, the function must also satisfy the condition that the endpoints of the interval have the same function values.

What is the geometric interpretation of the Mean Value Theorem?

The Mean Value Theorem has a geometric interpretation as well. It states that at some point within the given interval, the slope of the tangent line to the function is equal to the slope of the secant line that connects the endpoints of the interval. Geometrically, this means that there exists a point where the tangent line is parallel to the secant line.