Differential Calculus Question

In summary: I got 0.3448 I don't know if the answer is correct but at least I understand the concept which is more important so thank you...
hiineko
If z = e ^ (xy ^ 2), x = tcost, and y = tsint compute dx / dt for t = pi / 2

I kind of lost in this difficult question pls help

I tried putting down the xy but using ln

lnz = xy^2

Product rule? Or what. This is my first time encountering this kind of question

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure that you need to calculate ##\frac{dx}{dt}##? If so, then the first and 3rd equations are irrelevant - just calculate ##\frac{d}{dt} (t cost)## using the product rule, and plug in ##\frac π {2}## for ##t## into the derivative.

PWiz said:
Are you sure that you need to calculate ##\frac{dx}{dt}##? If so, then the first and 3rd equations are irrelevant - just calculate ##\frac{d}{dt} (t cost)## using the product rule, and plug in ##\frac π {2}## for ##t## into the derivative.

Hmm that make sense
but in my homework it is dx/dt idk if that is a correction

I also think it is a dz/dt

hiineko said:
Hmm that make sense
but in my homework it is dx/dt idk if that is a correction

I also think it is a dz/dt
For dz/dt, why don't you substitute the values of x and y in terms of t for the expression of z first?

PWiz said:
For dz/dt, why don't you substitute the values of x and y in terms of t for the expression of z first?

hmmmm I tried this

4gkCQeN.png

Product rule?

If the question is just "what is dx/dt", then the answer is just d(t cos(t))/dt= cos(t)- t sin(t), by the product rule.

But perhaps the problem was to find dz/dt and you are asked to find dx/dt as part of that.

By the "chain rule", [itex]dz/dt= (\partial z/\partial x)(dx/dt)+ (\partial z/\partial y)(dy/dt)[/itex]

Since [itex]z= e^{xy^2}[/itex], [itex]\partial z/\partial x= y^2e^{xy^2}[/itex] and [itex]\partial z/\partial y= 2xy e^{xy^2}[/itex]

As before, [itex]dx/dt= cos(t)- t sin(t)[/itex] and, since [itex]y= t sin(t)[/itex], [itex]dy/dt= sin(t)+ t cos(t)[/itex].

hiineko said:
hmmmm I tried this

4gkCQeN.png

Product rule?
There are two ways to proceed from here. Are you familiar with logarithmic differentiation? If yes, then just differentiate the left side with respect to t using chain rule, and the right side in the regular product rule manner.

If not, then convert this back into exponential form and use chain rule in combination with the product rule by letting the exponent equal to a new intermediate variable, such as u.

PWiz said:
There are two ways to proceed from here. Are you familiar with logarithmic differentiation? If yes, then just differentiate the left side with respect to t using chain rule, and the right side in the regular product rule manner.

If not, then convert this back into exponential form and use chain rule in combination with the product rule by letting the exponent equal to a new intermediate variable, such as u.
I think I can do the Logarithmic Differentiation

d/dx(lnu) = 1/u * du/dx ??

hiineko said:
I think I can do the Logarithmic Differentiation

d/dx(lnu) = 1/u * du/dx ??
This is true for the LHS, except that instead of u there will be a z, and instead of x we will have a t - there is no need to introduce a new variable for differentiating the LHS.

PWiz said:
This is true for the LHS, except that instead of u there will be a z, and instead of x we will have a t - there is no need to introduce a new variable for differentiating the LHS.
Hmm can you lead me there? I think I can understand if I can grasp more of it thank you!

hiineko said:
Hmm can you lead me there? I think I can understand if I can grasp more of it thank you!
You already did that. The equation becomes $$\frac 1 {z} \frac{dz}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} (\frac{t^4 (sin 2t)^2}{4})$$ , and you can proceed from here by applying the product rule.

Last edited:
PWiz said:
You already did that. The equation becomes $$\frac 1 {z} \frac{dz}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} (\frac{t^4 (sin 2t)^2}{4})$$ , and you can proceed from here by applying the chain rule.

I'll chain rule the RHS?
I'll took the constant out first so
1/4(t^4(sin2t)^2)?
I don't know if that's what you meant

hiineko said:
I'll chain rule the RHS?
I'll took the constant out first so
1/4(t^4(sin2t)^2)?
I don't know if that's what you meant
Oh, my bad. I meant use the product rule.

PWiz said:
Oh, my bad. I meant use the product rule.

Soooooo
C12KrCM.png

I'll just product rule this then substitue pi/2?

Yes.

PWiz said:
Yes.

I got 0.3448 is it right?

hiineko said:
I got 0.3448 is it right?

Are you sure that works out to give 0.3448 ?

So did you get an answer?

PWiz said:
So did you get an answer?

I got 0.3448 I don't know if the answer is correct but at least I understand the concept which is more important so thank you mates!

hiineko said:
I got 0.3448 I don't know if the answer is correct but at least I understand the concept which is more important so thank you mates!
EDIT: The answer is close, but not 0.3448 . Can show the derivative that you got?

Last edited:
hiineko said:

I think your answer is wrong . How then , can you say this ?

1. What is differential calculus?

Differential calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of rates of change and slopes of curves. It involves the use of derivatives and their applications in solving problems related to optimization, motion, and growth.

2. What are derivatives?

Derivatives are mathematical tools used to calculate the rate of change or slope of a curve at a specific point. They are represented by the symbol dy/dx and can be thought of as the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a specific point.

3. What is the difference between differential and integral calculus?

Differential calculus focuses on rates of change, while integral calculus deals with the accumulation of quantities over a given interval. In other words, differential calculus helps us find the slope of a curve, while integral calculus helps us find the area under a curve.

4. How is differential calculus used in real life?

Differential calculus has various real-life applications, including in physics, engineering, economics, and medicine. For example, it can be used to calculate the velocity of a moving object, optimize production processes, and model the spread of diseases.

5. What is the process of solving a differential calculus question?

The process of solving a differential calculus question involves identifying the type of problem, taking the derivative of the given function, setting it equal to the given value or equation, and then solving for the unknown variable. It is essential to understand the rules and properties of derivatives before attempting to solve a problem.