Differential cross section

Omega}{d\phi} is the solid angle per unit angular velocity. Substituting this expression for j in the definition of the differential cross section, we get:\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=\frac{dN/dt d\Omega}{F_i}=\frac{j}{F_i}=\frac{-\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\left[\Psi^*\vec{\nabla}\Psi-\Psi\left(\vec{\nabla}\Psi\right)^* \right]}{F_i}Therefore, we can see that the differential cross
Bill Foster

Homework Statement

a) Define the differential cross section [tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}[/tex] in “experimental” terms, i.e., in terms of the number of scattered and incident particle.

b) Show that for a situation in which there is a scattered wave [tex]f^+\left(\theta\right)\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}[/tex] asymptotically and an incident wave [tex]e^{i\vec{k}\dot\vec{r}}[/tex], the above definition corresponds to [tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=|f^+\left(\theta\right)|^2[/tex] . Consider that the current density associated with a wave function [tex]\Psi \left(\vec{r}\right)[/tex] is given by [tex]\vec{j}=-\frac{i\hbar}{2m}\left[\Psi^*\vec{\nabla}\Psi-\Psi\left(\vec{\nabla}\Psi\right)^* \right][/tex].

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=\frac{\frac{F_s}{F_i}N}{usa}[/tex]

Where [tex]F_s[/tex] is scattered flux, [tex]F_s[/tex] is incident flux, N is unit of surface. And usa is unit of solid angle.

I also have [tex]I_r=I_iN\sigma[/tex] where [tex]I_r[/tex] is current of scattered particles, and [tex]I_i[/tex] is current of incident particles. N is unit surface.

It seems to me I need to relate N to the solid angle. But I'm probably wrong.

Some guidance here would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

a) The differential cross section \frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega} can be defined as the measure of the probability of a particle being scattered into a particular solid angle (\Omega) from an incident beam of particles. In experimental terms, it can be written as the ratio of the number of scattered particles per unit time and per unit solid angle (dN/dt d\Omega) to the incident flux of particles per unit time and per unit area (F_i). Mathematically,

\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=\frac{dN/dt d\Omega}{F_i}

b) In the given situation, the scattered wave can be written as f^+\left(\theta\right)\frac{e^{ikr}}{r}. This can be interpreted as the scattered flux (F_s) being proportional to the amplitude of the scattered wave (f^+\left(\theta\right)) and the inverse square of the distance from the source (1/r^2). Similarly, the incident wave can be written as e^{i\vec{k}\dot\vec{r}}, which can be interpreted as the incident flux (F_i) being proportional to the amplitude of the incident wave (1) and the inverse square of the distance from the source (1/r^2).

Using these interpretations, we can rewrite the definition of the differential cross section as:

\frac{d\sigma}{d\Omega}=\frac{F_s}{F_i}=\frac{|f^+\left(\theta\right)|^2}{1}=\frac{|f^+\left(\theta\right)|^2}{1/r^2}=\frac{|f^+\left(\theta\right)|^2 r^2}{1}=|f^+\left(\theta\right)|^2

This shows that the definition of the differential cross section in terms of the number of scattered and incident particles (as given in part a) is equivalent to the definition of the differential cross section in terms of the scattered wave and incident wave (as given in part b).

Now, to relate the differential cross section to the current density (j), we can use the relation:

j=\frac{dN}{dt}=\frac{dN}{d\Omega}\frac{d\Omega}{dt}=\frac{dN}{d\Omega}\frac{d\Omega}{d\phi}\frac{d\

What is differential cross section?

Differential cross section is a measure of the probability of a particular scattering event occurring in a collision between two particles. It takes into account the angle and energy of the scattered particles, and is commonly used in particle physics experiments to study the properties of subatomic particles.

How is differential cross section calculated?

Differential cross section is calculated by taking the ratio of the number of events that occur within a specific range of scattering angles and energies, to the total number of events that could potentially occur. This calculation is then normalized to take into account the characteristics of the particles involved, such as their spin and charge.

What is the significance of differential cross section in particle physics?

Differential cross section is a crucial tool in the study of particle physics, as it allows researchers to understand the interactions between particles and the underlying fundamental forces that govern them. It also provides important information about the internal structure of particles and their properties.

What factors can affect the value of differential cross section?

The value of differential cross section can be affected by a number of factors, including the type of particles involved, their energy and momentum, and the angle at which they scatter. It can also be influenced by the experimental setup and any uncertainties in the measurements.

How is differential cross section used in experiments?

Differential cross section is used in experimental particle physics to compare theoretical predictions with actual data. By measuring the differential cross section, researchers can test the validity of their models and gain insight into the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions.