Derivation of the differential cross section

In summary: What do you mean, when you are referring to an infinitesimal small number?Try to explain how do you define the operator:
Gavroy
hi

i am currently looking for a derivation of the differential cross section, that is not an abuse of mathematics, cause all derivation i found use differentials that are treated like fractions and so on?

greetings

Gavroy

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really get what's your problem...

If you need an intuitive example of differential cross section, try the one for scattering particles at a given angle. Differential cross section [itex]d\sigma[/itex] is an area on which you have to aim incoming particle to get it scattered at the angle between [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\theta+d\theta[/itex]

When you say "differential cross section", are you talking about the particle physics concept?

Do you want a derivation of the differential cross section variable itself? If so, there isn't really a derivation, per se. The differential cross section is just defined to mean something useful: the amount of scattering into a infinitesimal solid angle (in units of an effective cross-sectional scattering area). If you mean a derivation of how the differential cross section depends on the system variables, that will depend on the specifics of the system. Here is an example from http://faculty.uml.edu/cbaird/95.658%282011%29/Lecture8.pdf" .

Last edited by a moderator:
xts said:
I can't really get what's your problem...

If you need an intuitive example of differential cross section, try the one for scattering particles at a given angle. Differential cross section [itex]d\sigma[/itex] is an area on which you have to aim incoming particle to get it scattered at the angle between [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\theta+d\theta[/itex]

this is exactly what i found in many physics books, but i am looking for a derivation that does not use differentials and infinitesimal small variables. i am looking for a derivation, that does not use as I would call them "vague mathematical concepts".

and to clearify what i want to get:
[itex]\frac{d \sigma}{d \Omega}= \frac{b}{sin (\theta)} \frac{db}{d\theta}[/itex]

Gavroy said:
i am looking for a derivation that does not use differentials and infinitesimal small variables. i am looking for a derivation, that does not use as I would call them "vague mathematical concepts".
I am afraid you are looking for impossible, as those infinitesimal small steps are a very foundation of calculus...
Like looking for algebra without vague concept of multiplication.

Gavroy said:
this is exactly what i found in many physics books, but i am looking for a derivation that does not use differentials and infinitesimal small variables. i am looking for a derivation, that does not use as I would call them "vague mathematical concepts".

and to clearify what i want to get:
[itex]\frac{d \sigma}{d \Omega}= \frac{b}{sin (\theta)} \frac{db}{d\theta}[/itex]

You want a derivation of the differential cross section that does not use differentials? That's like asking for a description of the sun that never uses the word "sun". If you don't trust differentials, than treat everything as macroscopic angles and do the derivation, then at the end take the limit of infinitesimal segments to recover calculus.

it is not that i do not trust calculus

for example the derivative in the equation is well-defined

[itex]\frac{d}{d \Omega} : C^1 (\mathbb{R}) \rightarrow C(\mathbb{R})[/itex]

cause everybody here knows what a derivative is

but what do you mean, when you are referring to an infinitesimal small number?

Try to explain how do you define the operator:
Gavroy said:
[itex]\frac{d}{d \Omega}[/itex]
without using the term of "infinitesimal" changes. I believe you are able to provide mathematically correct definition. Then take the phrases you used in your explanation and you will have the definition of 'infinitesimality' fitting to your taste.

1. What is the differential cross section?

The differential cross section is a measurement used in particle physics to describe the probability of a particular type of interaction between two particles. It is a function of the scattering angle and the energy of the particles involved.

2. How is the differential cross section derived?

The differential cross section can be derived using the principles of quantum mechanics and the theory of scattering. It involves calculating the probability amplitude for the scattering process and then taking the square of this amplitude to get the probability of scattering at a specific angle and energy.

3. What is the significance of the differential cross section in particle physics?

The differential cross section is an important tool for understanding the fundamental interactions between particles and for testing the predictions of various theories. It allows scientists to measure and analyze the behavior of particles in high-energy collisions.

4. How is the differential cross section measured in experiments?

In experiments, the differential cross section is measured by detecting the scattered particles and recording their energies and angles. This data is then used to calculate the differential cross section and compare it to theoretical predictions.

5. Can the differential cross section be used to determine the properties of particles?

Yes, the differential cross section can be used to determine the properties of particles such as their mass, spin, and charge. By comparing experimental data to theoretical predictions, scientists can infer the properties of particles involved in a scattering process.