What is the meaning of differential cross section in scattering theory?

In summary, the concept of density over angles is important to understand when trying to explain the concept of scattering.
Kontilera
Hello!
I´m confused about this concept.. It seems rather trivial, but my teacher is not that pedagogical and describes it as a rather diffcult concept so maybe I misunderstood it.

Given the definition in Sakurai and the scattering of only one particle it seem to be a kind of "denisty" per radians for the probability (or rather amplitude) that the particle will be scattered in this direction.

In other words for a small interval in our angle (lets say inbetween a and b) an estimation of the probability for our particle to come out in this direction should be given by:[tex]P(\theta \in [a,b] )= |(b - a) \cdot \frac{d \sigma}{d \Omega}\big|_{\frac{a+b}{2}}\,\,|^2 [/tex].

Is this a good intuitional picture to have in mind when going to the next lecture?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're close, except that ##\Omega## is a solid angle and not just an angle. Also you shouldn't be squaring the differential cross section.

We need two angles to describe a 3D scattering process, usually ##\theta## (the angle the outgoing path makes to the incoming path) and ##\phi## (the azimuthal angle). The probability for a particle to scatter in a direction close to ##(\theta, \phi)##--say, within ##d\theta## in the ##\theta## angle and and within ##d\phi## in the ##\phi## angle--is proportional to

[itex]\cos \theta d\theta d\phi \frac{d \sigma}{d \Omega}(\theta, \phi)[/itex]

Here ##\cos \theta d\theta d\phi## is the amount of the solid angle we are looking at (which we might call ##d \Omega##), and the analog of your (b-a) above.

Note that the expression above still isn't a probability. It has units of area; it's a cross section.

Yeah, that makes sense. Looked up the definition again and it is actually a "probability density over the angles"... Thanks. :)

I know what I mean but "density" over angles? does it make sense? How would you say it when trying to explain the concept?

This definition, pictorially describe in Sakurai, doesn't seem to obvious. I mean in the picture he paints the solid angle, ## \Omega ## from a point in the potential area to an "area of observation", ##\sigma##, but this solid angle does indeed depend on which point we choose inside our potential... Do we neglect these variantions our why don't they matter?

Kontilera said:
This definition, pictorially describe in Sakurai, doesn't seem to obvious. I mean in the picture he paints the solid angle, ## \Omega ## from a point in the potential area to an "area of observation", ##\sigma##, but this solid angle does indeed depend on which point we choose inside our potential... Do we neglect these variantions our why don't they matter?
In general theory of scattering,the source is composed of delta function sources(you treat it like that).So in case of generality you can not define any point inside the source.it will be considered as point source.

1. What is a differential cross section?

A differential cross section is a measurement used in particle physics to describe the probability of a particle scattering at a specific angle and energy. It is a fundamental quantity used to understand the interactions between particles.

2. How is differential cross section calculated?

Differential cross section is calculated by taking into account the initial and final states of the particles, as well as the interaction between them. It also considers the energy and momentum of the particles involved in the scattering process.

3. What is the significance of differential cross section in particle physics?

Differential cross section is important in particle physics because it allows scientists to study the properties and behavior of particles, as well as the interactions between them. It helps in understanding the fundamental forces that govern the universe.

4. How is differential cross section measured in experiments?

In experiments, differential cross section is measured by detecting the scattered particles at different angles and energies. The data is then analyzed and compared to theoretical predictions to determine the differential cross section.

5. Can differential cross section be used to study new particles?

Yes, differential cross section can be used to study new particles by measuring their interactions with known particles. Any deviations from the expected values can indicate the presence of new particles or interactions, providing valuable insights into the nature of the universe.