Differential cross sections in Pythia

In summary, the user is seeking guidance on how to plot d_sigma/d_omega and d_sigma/d_theta using the Pythia event generator for collisions such as proton-proton. They are requesting an example of code that can output the distribution of these variables for all particles formed in the reaction. However, the question is considered very broad and unlikely to have a specific code available. The expert suggests reading the manual as Pythia does not have a variable or method for these values.
Aleks Belov
Dear Users,

I would like to ask you how can I plot d_sigma/d_omega and d_sigma/d_theta for any collision (for instance, proton and proton) using pythia event generator. I would be greatful if you could tell me how make it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Kind regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you ask is very, very, very broad. Like "Can you show me how to do my taxes in Excel?"

I only ask you to show me absolutely any example with the code how to output the distribution of d_sigma/d_omega and d_sigma / d_theta from the event number or all at once. What variable or method gives the value of d_sigma/d_omega and d_sigma / d_theta for particles that are formed as a result of the reaction?

Your question is still very, very broad. It is very unlikely that someone will have code that does exactly what you want (especially given how broad the question is) and unlikelier still that someone will write it for you.

Vanadium 50 said:
Your question is still very, very broad. It is very unlikely that someone will have code that does exactly what you want (especially given how broad the question is) and unlikelier still that someone will write it for you.
I understand it. Do you know what variable or method gives the value of d_sigma/d_omega and d_sigma / d_theta for particles that are formed as a result of the reaction?

Well, you're getting better. And the answer is "none". That's not what Pythia does. Have you read the manual?

1. What is a differential cross section in Pythia?

A differential cross section in Pythia is a measure of the probability of a specific particle interaction occurring at a given energy and angle. It is calculated by dividing the number of events with a specific energy and angle by the total number of events.

2. How is a differential cross section calculated in Pythia?

In Pythia, the differential cross section is calculated using the Monte Carlo method. This involves generating a large number of simulated events and then using statistical analysis to determine the probability of a specific interaction occurring at a given energy and angle.

3. What is the significance of differential cross sections in Pythia?

Differential cross sections in Pythia are important for understanding and predicting particle interactions. They provide valuable information about the properties of particles and can be used to test theories and models in particle physics.

4. Can differential cross sections in Pythia be compared to experimental data?

Yes, differential cross sections calculated in Pythia can be compared to experimental data to test the accuracy of the simulation. If there is a good agreement between the two, it can provide evidence for the validity of the theoretical model used in Pythia.

5. Are there any limitations to using differential cross sections in Pythia?

One limitation of using differential cross sections in Pythia is that it relies on theoretical models and assumptions, which may not always accurately reflect the real world. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the input parameters and the complexity of the simulation.