1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential descriptions

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Suppose you see something like

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial X^{\mu}\partial X^{\nu}}[/tex]

What I am interested here is the denominator. Is the term [tex]\partial X^{\mu}\partial X^{\nu}[/tex] simply X taken to the second derivative? I know one can write it like

[tex]\partial X^{\mu} (\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial X^{\nu}})[/tex]

But what do we calculate when they are lumped together like [tex]\partial X^{\mu}\partial X^{\nu}[/tex]?

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2
    What I mean is, is [tex]\partial X^{\mu}\partial X^{\nu}[/tex] equal to [tex]\partial^2 X^2[/tex]?

4. May 8, 2012 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I'll take a shot at it. Your notation suggests that ##\phi## is a function of at least two variables: X##\mu## and X##\nu##

This notation:
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial X^{\mu}\partial X^{\nu}}[/tex]

means

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial X^{\mu}}\left(\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial X^{\nu}}\right)[/tex]

In other words, take the partial of ##\phi## respect to X##\nu## and then take the partial of that function with respect to X##\mu##.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  5. May 8, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, it is not. [itex]X^\mu[/itex] and [itex]X^\nu[/itex] are different variables. What have is similar to
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial x\partial y}[/tex]
    where x and y are the two variables in the xy-plane. The point is that if you are working in a situation where you have three or four or even more dimensions, it is simpler to write "[itex]X^1[/itex]" and "[itex]X^2[/itex]" rather than "x" and "y", for example.

6. May 9, 2012 #5
    Thanks, was unsure... but I guessed you approach. Thanks again!

7. May 9, 2012 #6
    Ok, I have a new question of the same type. Suppose then you might have

[tex]\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial X^j \partial X^j}[/tex]

This seems to be purporting to the same direction [tex]X^{j}[/tex] yes? So how is this interpretated?

Assuming you can bring it out again like so

[tex]\frac{\partial}{X^j}(\frac{\partial \phi}{ \partial X^j})[/tex]

Does anything get squared now?

8. May 9, 2012 #7

Mark44

No, this doesn't make any sense.
    It would have to be
    $$ \frac{\partial^2\phi}{\partial X^j \partial X^j}$$

This is the second partial of ##\phi## with respect to Xj.
    It would be interpreted as the partial with respect to Xj of the partial of ##\phi## with respect to Xj.
    This isn't quite right.

$$ \frac{\partial}{\partial X^j}(\frac{\partial \phi}{ \partial X^j})$$

Compare this to the related Leibniz notation for the second derivative.
    ##\frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} = \frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)##

9. May 9, 2012 #8
    Sorry I missed out the [tex]\partial^2[/tex]. I knew it should have been there...

anyway, this is what I am asking. Just in short, does this [tex]\partial X^j \partial X^j[/tex] mean [tex]\partial X^{j^2}[/tex]?

For

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial X^{\mu} \partial X^{\nu}}[/tex] you can make it

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial X^{\mu}}(\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial X^{\nu}}[/tex]

why can't I do this for something like

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial X^{j} \partial X^{j}}[/tex]

Is the denominator really [tex]\partial X^{j^2}[/tex] because it seem from HallsOfIvy that the denominator in

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial X^{\mu} \partial X^{\nu}}[/tex]

Are seperate variables and so they cannot be squared. With the new case I have given, this is not obvious. You never answered my question very helpfully.

10. May 9, 2012 #9
    Let me numb the question down:

HallsofIvy said that

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial X^{\mu} \partial X^{\nu}} = \frac{\partial^2}{\partial X^{\mu}} \frac{\partial \phi} {\partial X^{\nu}}[/tex]

I knew this and it is simple enough. I asked if the product [tex]X^{\mu}X^{\nu}[/tex] was some squared value, in which it was [tex]X^2[/tex] because they were separate variables. Now I am asking the same of

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial X^{j} \partial X^{j}}[/tex]

Are they separate variables? If not, then can one express it as being squared?

11. May 9, 2012 #10

Mark44

No, they're not separate, and yes, you can express that derivative as
    $$ \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial X^{j2}}$$

That looks pretty messy with the j index as a superscript. That's probably a good reason to write the indexes as subscripts, as X1, X2, and so on.

Doing that, the partial would look like this:
    $$ \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial X_j^2}$$

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  12. May 9, 2012 #11
    Right, that's good then. Thank you, one last question. In respect to these [tex]X_{j}^{2}[/tex] 's, when can it not be applied to the Leibniz rule?

This has caused a new confusion.

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (\frac{\partial y}{\partial x}[/tex]

especially this part [tex]\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2}[/tex] seems like an identical form of

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial X^{2}_{j}}[/tex]

Thank you

13. May 9, 2012 #12

Mark44

He didn't say that. Nor did I. Here's what was said:
    $$ \frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial X^{\mu} \partial X^{\nu}} = \frac{\partial}{\partial X^{\mu}} \frac{\partial \phi} {\partial X^{\nu}}$$

Notice on the right that it is NOT the 2nd partial of the partial - it's the partial of the partial. I removed an exponent of 2 that you had.

14. May 9, 2012 #13
    Sorry, I carried that on by a paste.

This has caused a new confusion.

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial}{\partial x} (\frac{\partial y}{\partial x})[/tex]

especially this part [tex]\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial x^2}[/tex] seems like an identical form of

[tex]\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial X^{2}_{j}}[/tex]

15. May 9, 2012 #14
    Now why can't the latter be expressed using Leibniz rule?

16. May 9, 2012 #15

Mark44

As long as each partial is taken with respect to the same independent variable.
    Yes. Let's keep to the ordinary derivative notation, since it's easier to type.

$$ \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right) = \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2}$$

Working with partial derivatives, it would look pretty much the same. Again, I'm assuming that you're taking the partial with respect to the same variable.

17. May 9, 2012 #16
    You said it couldn't, even in the correct format. It has me a bit confused see...

18. May 9, 2012 #17

Mark44

I don't understand what you're asking.

19. May 9, 2012 #18
    You use some wicked latexing... I have never seen the latex you use... anyway, you qouted the expression I gave you and you said:

This isn't quite right.

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial X^j}(\frac{\partial \phi}{ \partial X^j})[/tex]

Compare this to the related Leibniz notation for the second derivative.
    [tex]\frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} = \frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{dy}{dx}\right)[/tex]

20. May 9, 2012 #19

Mark44

Click any of the things I wrote and you can see how I did it.
    This is the same as

$$\frac{\partial^2 \phi}{\partial X_j^2}$$

But you can't collapse the expression if you're doing this:
    $$ \frac{\partial}{\partial X_j} \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial X_i}$$

Here the partials are with respect to different variables.

21. May 9, 2012 #20
    So, what you are saying is I need the paranthesis? That is the only difference I see...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook