Why does (dr)^2 equal 0 in the differential element equation?

In summary, the person is working on a physics homework problem involving the difference of two areas and wants to know why (dr)^2 is equal to 0 in the context of integration. The conversation also touches on the concept of limits and how (dr)^2 becomes negligible as dr approaches 0. The problem itself involves a cylinder with circular cross-sectional area and the person is trying to integrate from a to r to find the total area enclosed as a function of r. The conversation also mentions factoring and simplifying the expression.
Apphysicist
This is not a homework problem in itself. In my physics homework, I wanted to write the difference of two areas (thus yielding a differential disk) as:

Pi*(r+dr)2-Pi*r2

It reduces to

2*Pi*r*dr+Pi*(dr)2

Now, I seem to recall from a prior class that a quick hand-waving made (dr)2 = 0.
I would like to know why this is or is not the case. It'd be of great use to let it equal 0, but right now, I'm not seeing it (other than it's really really small).

Physics news on Phys.org
(dr)^2 isn't zero unless dr=0. But it's vanishingly small compared with dr as dr->0. Which is the limit you do when you are integrating or differentiating. So, sure, you can ignore it.

Dick said:
(dr)^2 isn't zero unless dr=0. But it's vanishingly small compared with dr as dr->0. Which is the limit you do when you are integrating or differentiating. So, sure, you can ignore it.

I guess it's partly the weird idea of integration with such a thing.

The actual problem involves a cylinder with circular cross-sectional area, inner radius a, outer radius b. I am working on the inside of the cylinder (a<r<b) and so that's why I'm doing this.

I want to integrate from a to r to find the total area enclosed as a function of r, so I'm thinking that I would have integral from a to r of 2*Pi*r*dr+Pi*(dr)2. Since it is most definitely a single integral, that's why lim->inf (dr^2) =0 ?

Factor the 2*pi*r*dr out. So you've got 2*pi*r*dr*(1+dr/(2*r)). As dr->0 the second term becomes 1, yes?

1. What is a differential element?

A differential element is a small, infinitesimal part of a larger system. In mathematics and physics, it is often used to represent a small change in a variable or quantity.

2. How is a differential element used in calculus?

In calculus, a differential element is used to approximate a curve or surface by breaking it up into smaller, simpler elements. This allows for more accurate calculations and analysis of complex systems.

3. What is the difference between a differential element and a derivative?

A differential element is a small part of a larger system, while a derivative is a mathematical tool used to calculate the rate of change of a function. In other words, a differential element is a physical entity, while a derivative is a mathematical concept.

4. Can you give an example of a differential element in real life?

One example of a differential element in real life is the concept of velocity. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, and can be represented by a differential element known as the derivative of position with respect to time.

5. How does the concept of a differential element apply to engineering?

In engineering, the concept of a differential element is used to analyze and model complex systems, such as circuits and structures. This allows engineers to break down these systems into smaller, more manageable parts for analysis and design purposes.