Differential Eqs on GRE Math Subject Exam

In summary, the extent to which differential equations are tested on the GRE Math Subject test is about 10-15% of the questions in the Calculus section. It is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals and techniques used in solving differential equations, including higher order equations with non-constant coefficients and systems of equations. Additional practice with these topics is recommended for a well-rounded preparation for the test.
snipez90
Hi, does anyone know the extent to which differential equations are tested on the GRE Math Subject test? I basically looked at Princeton Review's review, and reminded myself of the following:

-Basic DE's (immediate integration)
-Solutions to f' = f, y'' + y = 0
-Separable DE's
-Homogeneous equations (the function is homogeneous)
-Exact equations
-Using integrating factor for non-exact equation (so I only know two types of integrating factors in this case, namely when (M_y - N_x)/N is a function of x alone and a similar case, where the DE is M*dx + N*dy = 0 and subscripts denote partial derivative wrt that variable)
-First-Order Linear Eqs.
-Higher-Order Linear Eqs. w/ Const. Coefficients

I have not taken a formal course on differential equations and most of what I know came from looking at http://www.sosmath.com/diffeq/diffeq.html" a long time ago (mostly first order stuff, and I've forgotten certain variants such as Bernoulli).

Am I overlooking a certain type of equation? As much as I'd like to spend more time on DE's, I need to spend more time on algebra and multivariable calculus, so I want to have an idea of which equations are most likely to show up. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

I can tell you that differential equations are an important part of mathematics and are often used in various scientific fields to model and solve problems. On the GRE Math Subject test, differential equations are usually tested in the Calculus section and make up about 10-15% of the questions.

Based on your list, it seems like you have a good understanding of the different types of differential equations that may appear on the test. However, I would also recommend reviewing and practicing with higher order linear equations with non-constant coefficients, as well as systems of differential equations. These are two commonly tested topics that may not have been covered in your self-study.

Additionally, it is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamental concepts and techniques used in solving differential equations, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and initial value problems. Make sure to review these thoroughly and practice solving a variety of problems.

Overall, the best way to prepare for the GRE Math Subject test is to have a solid foundation in calculus and practice solving various types of differential equations. Good luck on your test!

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how one or more variables change over time. They involve derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a variable, and can be used to model a wide range of physical, biological, and social phenomena.

2. What types of differential equations are typically covered on the GRE Math Subject Exam?

The GRE Math Subject Exam covers both ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve one independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. Both types of equations can be linear or nonlinear.

3. How can I solve differential equations?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, variation of parameters, and using the method of undetermined coefficients. It is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and algebra to effectively solve differential equations.

4. Are there any common tricks or shortcuts for solving differential equations on the GRE Math Subject Exam?

While there are no specific tricks or shortcuts for solving differential equations, it is important to understand the properties of different types of equations and know when to use certain methods. It is also helpful to practice solving a variety of differential equations to become familiar with the process.

5. How much emphasis is placed on differential equations on the GRE Math Subject Exam?

The GRE Math Subject Exam typically includes 6-8 questions on differential equations, which accounts for about 10-15% of the total exam. It is important to have a strong understanding of differential equations, but it is only one of many topics covered on the exam.