1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Eqs on GRE Math Subject Exam

1. Sep 18, 2010 #1
    Hi, does anyone know the extent to which differential equations are tested on the GRE Math Subject test? I basically looked at Princeton Review's review, and reminded myself of the following:

-Basic DE's (immediate integration)
    -Solutions to f' = f, y'' + y = 0
    -Separable DE's
    -Homogeneous equations (the function is homogeneous)
    -Exact equations
    -Using integrating factor for non-exact equation (so I only know two types of integrating factors in this case, namely when (M_y - N_x)/N is a function of x alone and a similar case, where the DE is M*dx + N*dy = 0 and subscripts denote partial derivative wrt that variable)
    -First-Order Linear Eqs.
    -Higher-Order Linear Eqs. w/ Const. Coefficients

I have not taken a formal course on differential equations and most of what I know came from looking at http://www.sosmath.com/diffeq/diffeq.html" [Broken] a long time ago (mostly first order stuff, and I've forgotten certain variants such as Bernoulli).

Am I overlooking a certain type of equation? As much as I'd like to spend more time on DE's, I need to spend more time on algebra and multivariable calculus, so I want to have an idea of which equations are most likely to show up. Thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted