1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation BVP

1. Feb 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Using the given differential eq. M'' + bM=0 where b is a real-valued parameter, find all nonzero values for b that adhere to the following boundary conditions:
    M'(0)=0
    M'(Pi)=0

2. Relevant equations

When I apply the boundary conditions, after I set up the equation for f(x) using the gen. sol for the characteristic equation M^2+bM=0, do I need to figure out when f(x) has nonzero solutions or when f ' (x) has nonzero solutions?

3. The attempt at a solution

ex: when b < 0 taking b= -a where a>0 we get the gen. sol:
    f(x)=c_1exp(ax) + c_2exp(-ax).
    applying the bound. conds we find that c_1= c_2 from f '(0)=0 and using f '(Pi)=0 we find that 0=c_1a [exp(aPi)-exp(-aPi)]. If c_1 and c_2 are not equal to 0 we see the exponential part can never be zero, implying c_1 and c_2 are equal to 0.
    Does this mean there are no nonzero sols for f '(x) which is what we want? and or does this say there are no non-zero sols. for f(x) if that is what we want?

I see I need 2 other cases for the value of b. I am just wondering if I am on the right track.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Acutually, when b< 0, you want to take b= -a2 to get eax and e-ax as solutions. However, it is still true that for b< 0, this problem has only the "trivial" solution, M(x)= 0.

If b= 0, then M"= 0 and you can get the general solution just by integrating twice.

If b> 0, then let b= a2 and two independent solutions are cos(ax) and sin(ax).

4. Feb 26, 2009 #3
    I meant take b= -a^2 for b<0 like you said. I have that part.
    For b=0 solving I get M(x)= c_1 + c_2 x. I got M'(x)=c_2. When applying the boundary conditions M'(0)=0 I found that c_2= 0. M'(Pi)=0 gives me the same info that c_2=0. Does this mean a nonzero solution is M(x)=c_1 when c_1 >0???

Also, for b>0 I found that M(x)=c_1 cos(ax)+c_2 sin(ax). applying the boundary conditions M'(x)=0 I got 0=c_2 a. Since a>0 by assumption, c_2=0. For M'(Pi)=0 I got 0= -c_1asin(aPi). taking c_1 not equal to 0 and a>0 (assumed) sin(aPi)=0 when a=n n=1,2,3...

Does this mean the nonzero solutions are M_n(x)=sin(a_nx)=sin(nx)???

Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook