Differential Equation Challenge

In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation while showing full working and finding an integrating factor to make the equation an exact differential. The solution involves rewriting the equation and using an integrating factor, with the final answer including an arbitrary constant. The conversation ends with the person expressing gratitude for the assistance.
josek6
Solve showing full working
(x^2 -1)y' + 2xy = x

You must show full working.

Physics news on Phys.org
No full workings here, were fresh out.
Try to rearrange and find an integrating factor u such that
u(x^2 -1)y' + u(2xy - x)

is and exact differential

Find the integerating factor "u"
So I have to rewrite the equation in the standard form y' + Py =Q
IF = e ^ ∫P.dx
where P = 2x ?

Thanks...I solved it my solution is
y(x^2 -1)=(x^2)/2

Good, but you need the arbitrary constant
y(x^2 -1)=(x^2)/2+C

I must commend you guys for all the assistance and I will surely recommend you guys to my friends. Thanks again.

(x^2 - 1 ) y' + 2xy = ((x^2-1)y)' = x;-->
(x^2-1)y = \int{x};-->
(x^2-1)y = 0.5 x^2 + C

y = (0.5 x^2 + C) / ( x^2 - 1 )

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is commonly used to model natural phenomena in various fields, such as physics and engineering.

2. What is the purpose of the Differential Equation Challenge?

The Differential Equation Challenge is a competition designed to encourage students and researchers to develop innovative solutions to differential equations problems. It aims to promote the use of differential equations in real-world applications and to advance the field of mathematics.

3. Who can participate in the Differential Equation Challenge?

The Differential Equation Challenge is open to anyone with an interest in mathematics and differential equations. This includes students, researchers, and professionals from all over the world.

4. How are winners of the Differential Equation Challenge selected?

The winners of the Differential Equation Challenge are selected by a panel of experts in the field of mathematics. They evaluate the solutions submitted by participants based on creativity, accuracy, and potential for real-world applications.

5. What are the benefits of participating in the Differential Equation Challenge?

Participating in the Differential Equation Challenge can provide several benefits, including the opportunity to showcase your skills and knowledge, network with experts in the field, and potentially win cash prizes or recognition for your work. It also allows you to contribute to the advancement of mathematics and its applications in various fields.