Differential equation for Pi(x)

In summary, eljose says that he has found a differential equation for pi(x). He suggests that this equation could be used to calculate pi(x). He does not provide any rigorous proofs for this claim, but suggests that readers can find the details in his paper posted to a preprint server.
eljose
Can a differential equation for [tex] \pi (x) [/tex] (prime number counting function ) exist?..for example of the form :grumpy: :grumpy:

[tex] f(x)y'' +g(x)y' +h(x)y = u(x) [/tex] where the functions f,g,h and u

are known, and with the initial value problem [tex] y(2)= 0 [/tex] for example...or is there any theorem forbidding it?..

By the way do you Number theoritis use Numerical methods ? (to solve diophantine equations, or Integral equations of first kind involving important functions) that,s all...

-In fact for every Green function of Any operator if we put:

[tex] \sum_ p L[G(x,p)] = \pi ' (x) [/tex] :uhh: :uhh: the problem is if some valuable info can be obtained from here

Physics news on Phys.org
pi(x) is a step function, it's derivative is zero everywhere except at primes where it is undefined.

You are perhaps thinking of Lagarias and Odlyzko?

J. C. Lagarias and A. M. Odlyzko, Computing pi(x): An analytic method, Journal of Algorithms, Vol. 8 (1987), pp. 173-191.

How about this: Rather than looking at [itex]\pi(x)[/itex], how about considering what type of differential system would have as one or more of its solutions either the real or imaginary part of the zeta function on the critical line?

Yes, I have found one

Dear eljose,
in a paper recently posted to a preprint server, I show how to find a Diff.
equation for Pi(x). Actually is a d.e. for the inverse of Pi(x). It is based in the fact that the sieving process produce symmetrical patterns between sieved a non-sieved numbers in N. The paper is non-technical because I am a physicist. I give no strict proofs. You can read the details in,
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/mp_arc/c/06/06-314.pdf

regards

Imre

imre mikoss said:
Dear eljose,
in a paper recently posted to a preprint server, I show how to find a Diff.
equation for Pi(x). Actually is a d.e. for the inverse of Pi(x). It is based in the fact that the sieving process produce symmetrical patterns between sieved a non-sieved numbers in N. The paper is non-technical because I am a physicist. I give no strict proofs. You can read the details in,
http://www.ma.utexas.edu/mp_arc/c/06/06-314.pdf

regards

Imre

I'll take a look at that. I'm not sure I am obliged to let a physicist skip out on rigor though. :wink:

On the original post, why a differential equation? If you are going continuous then I would think you want to consider the complex numbers as your domain and range. But, why would there not be a discrete analog in the realm of difference equations? The question is really asking if there are hidden variables behind the distribution of primes. I am inclined to think yes maybe, but that is based on very incomplete knowledge of some of the work of those how study ensembles of random matrices.

1. What is a differential equation for Pi(x)?

A differential equation for Pi(x) is an equation that involves the derivative of a function representing the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter, known as Pi. It is typically in the form of dy/dx = f(x), where f(x) is a function of x.

2. Why is a differential equation used to represent Pi(x)?

A differential equation is used because it allows us to express the relationship between the circumference and diameter of a circle in terms of a single variable, x. This makes it easier to manipulate and solve for Pi(x) in different scenarios.

3. How is the differential equation for Pi(x) derived?

The differential equation for Pi(x) can be derived using the properties of circles and the definition of Pi. It involves using the circumference formula C = 2πr and the derivative of the circle's radius, r.

4. What are the applications of the differential equation for Pi(x)?

The differential equation for Pi(x) has many practical applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in the design of circular structures, such as bridges and roller coasters, as well as in the study of fluid dynamics and wave phenomena.

5. Are there different forms of the differential equation for Pi(x)?

Yes, there are different forms of the differential equation for Pi(x) depending on the specific problem or application. Some common forms include the linear, separable, and exact forms. Each form has its own unique method of solving for Pi(x) and may be more suitable for certain scenarios.