DIfferential equation for understanding cosmological expansion -

In summary, the cosmological expansion is explained as an expansion of the universe at an arithmetic rate relative to distance, where time increases linearly. A photon emitted from a point recedes faster than the speed of light and can be calculated using the equation y(t) = c – k * y(t) / (1+k*(t-t0)).
andrewkirk
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am trying to understand cosmological expansion and how it is possible to see objects that are receding from us faster than the speed of light. This is explained in words at http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~charley/p...DavisSciAm.pdf" and I have tried to describe a simple mathematical model to understand how this works, as follows:

Assume the universe is expanding at an arithmetic (rather than a geometric) rate k relative to distance at time t0. By this we mean that, if we denote the distance between points x and x' at time t by d(t,x,x') then, for t1>t0:

d(t1,x,x') = (1+k(t1-t0)) d(t0,x,x').

Consider points x1 and x2 such that k*d(t0,x1,x2) = b*c where b>1. In other words, at time t0, x2 is receding from x1 at a speed faster than light.

I want to derive a formula for the distance y(t) from x1 of a photon emitted from x2 at time t0 in the direction of x1, as a function of time.

The velocity towards x1 of the photon at time t, when it is y(t) away from x1, is the speed of light c, less the speed of expansion at time t, which is:

-dy(t)/dt = c – k * d(t0,x(t),x1)

where x(t) is the location of the photon at time t. That location is currently y(t) away from x1 which, given our expansion rule must be equal to k * (t-t0) * d(t0,x(t),x1). Hence d(t0,x(t),x1) = y(t)/(1+k*(t-t0)), whence:

-dy(t)/dt = c – k * y(t) / (1+k*(t-t0))

We need to solve this ordinary differential equation to get a formula for y(t). The trouble is I never studied ODEs in sufficient depth to be able to solve this.

I could program a numeric solution given numeric values for k and d(t0,x2,x1) but an analytic solution would be much more illuminating.

Can anyone solve the ODE?

Thank you very much for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]-dy(t)/dt = c – k * y(t) / (1+k*(t-t_0))[/tex]
That's a simple separable equation- it's just a matter of integrating.

[tex]-\frac{dy}{c- ky}= \frac{dt}{1- k(t- t_0)}[/tex]
To integrate on the left, let u= c- ky so du= -kdy and dy= -du/k. The integral becomes
[tex]\frac{1}{k}\int \frac{du}{u}= \frac{1}{k}ln|u|+ C= ln|u^{1/k}|+ C[/tex]
[tex]= ln|(c- ky)^{1/k}+ C[/tex]

To integrate on the right, let [itex]v= 1- k(t- t_0)= 1- kt_0- kt[/itex] so that dv= -kdt and dt= -(1/k)dv. The integral becomes
[tex]-\frac{1}{k}\int \frac{dv}{v}= \frac{1}{k}ln|v|+ D[/tex]
[tex]ln|v|^{1/k}= ln|1- k(t-t_0)|^{1/k}+ D[/tex]

Setting those two integrals equal,
[tex]ln|(c- ky|^{1/k}+ C= ln|1- k(t-t_0)|^{1/k}+ D[/tex]
Combining the two constants into E= D- C,
[tex]ln|c- ky|^{1/k}= ln|1- k(t-t_0)|^{1/k}+ E[/tex]
Taking the exponential of both sides,
[tex](c- ky)^{1/k}= F(1- k(t-t_0))^{1/k}[/tex]
where, now, [itex]e^{E}[/itex] except that allowing it to be positive or negative let's us get rid of the absolute values.

Of course we can take the k power of both sides:
[tex]c- ky= G(1- k(t-t_0))[/itex]
with [itex]G= F^k[/itex]

That's a linear equation!

Thank you very much for your post HallsOfIvy. I'm afraid I can't see how you get from the original equation

[tex]-\frac{dy}{dt}= c - \frac{ky}{1+ k(t- t_0)}[/tex]

to the separated form:

[tex]-\frac{dy}{c- ky}= \frac{dt}{1- k(t- t_0)}[/tex]

It's possible that I put the question confusingly by not using Tex, which unfortunately doesn't always work as expected for me on this website - it seems to depend which computer I'm using. I've used Tex for the above formulae though and they are displaying very nicely.

I don't intend discussing the topic of cosmological expansion, nor the over simplified model which leads to the very simple ODE solved in the attached page :

Attachments

• VerySimpleODE.JPG
    VerySimpleODE.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 413
Thank you very much JJacquelin for your suggested solution.

Unfortunately the ODE to be solved is

(1) [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} + \frac{ky}{1 + k(t- t_0)} = c[/tex]

not

(2) [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} + \frac{ky}{1 - k(t- t_0)} = c[/tex]

I tried using your method to solve equation (1) but the cancellations that made the equation (2) separable did not occur in (1) because the negative sign gave
[tex]Y=\frac{C}{t- t_0+1/k}[/tex] rather than [tex]Y=C(t- t_0+1/k)[/tex] and things got progressively messier from there. I tried a different substitution of

[tex]y(t)=\frac{F(t)}{t- t_0+1/k}[/tex] which cleaned things up a bit but still didn't yield a separable equation.

Can you suggest a way to adapt the solution to (2) to give a solution to (1)?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Why not following the same method ? It is even more simpler.

Sorry - I think I might have mixed up a sign somewhere. I'll work through it again before I take up any more of your time.

Solving the other EDO :

Attachments

• OtherEDO.JPG
    OtherEDO.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 387
Thanks very much JJacquelin - you are a star!:smile:

No merit at all. Just the use of the method that anybody learn in the first beginning of ODE studies. If this suffises to become a star, there would be so many stars in the world !

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to represent rates of change in a system.

2. How does a differential equation relate to cosmological expansion?

The differential equation used to understand cosmological expansion is known as the Friedmann equation. This equation describes the relationship between the expansion rate of the universe and its energy content.

3. What is the significance of solving the Friedmann equation?

Solving the Friedmann equation allows us to understand the evolution of the universe and how it has changed over time. It also helps us determine the future fate of the universe.

4. How is the Friedmann equation derived?

The Friedmann equation is derived from Einstein's field equations in general relativity. It involves the use of mathematical techniques such as integration and substitution to arrive at a solution.

5. What are some applications of the Friedmann equation?

The Friedmann equation has many applications in the field of cosmology. It is used to study the expansion of the universe, the formation of galaxies and clusters, and the effects of dark energy and dark matter on the evolution of the universe.