1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation help

1. May 9, 2007 #1

ssb

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the differential equation given by

[tex]y' = Ay - By^2 [/tex]

List the equilibrium solutions in increasing order and classify them as stable, semistable, or unstable.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Im just looking for a point in the right direction on this one. I guess my attempt would be to possibly factor out one of the y's on the right hand side. Then maybe move all the y's to the left side of the equation. Tell me... is this what I should be doing? The overall goal is to find up to 3 equilibrium solutions.

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2007 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well you know at equilibrium that y' = 0 so....

4. May 9, 2007 #3

ssb

Thankyou.

[tex] 0 = Ay - By^2 [/tex]

[tex] By^2 = Ay [/tex]

[tex] By = A [/tex]

[tex] y = A/B [/tex]

the a/b is one equilibrium solution. Did I solve this the correct way or did I just luck out by doing this? Also how would I know that another existed (if it did)?

5. May 9, 2007 #4
    it should be [tex] y = \frac{a}{b} [/tex]. And look at the end behavior to look at stability(i.e. going away from eq. pt, converging to eq pt, or one part going away and one converging)

Last edited: May 9, 2007
  6. May 9, 2007 #5

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not sure, I'd have solve it like this;

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
    y(A - By) = 0\\
    \Rightarrow y = \left\{ 0,A/B\right\}
    \end{array}
    [/tex]

But you got one of the answers right :smile:

7. May 9, 2007 #6

ssb

omg its like basic algebra all over again. Im convinced that after so much math gets pushed inside your head, you start forgetting the earlier stuff. Thanks a ton.

8. May 9, 2007 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, I'll be the one to throw it out there... where did the +/- come from? A-By=0 only if y is A/B, it's not if y=-A/B.

9. May 9, 2007 #8

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wait, correction! The negative root isn't a solution. I really don't know what I was thinking! There are only two solutions (as the should be with a quadratic :mad:).

Edit: Shredder beat me to it. Sorry guys, this has happened twice now; I guess I should stop posting so late.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?