How to Solve a Second-Order Differential Equation with Constants h and j?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the second derivative of a function, represented by d²y/dx², which is proportional to the function itself. The constants h and j are mentioned and the question is posed as to what the function y could be. Various suggestions are made, including using an exponential function with a multiplication constant, the sum of two exponentials with different constants, and a function with a complex argument. The general solution is given as y(x) = Ae^kx + Be^-kx and it is noted that this can also be written using sine and cosine functions. The conversation concludes by mentioning the standard form of the solution for this type of problem.
youngoldman
d²y/ dx² = - h y / j

where h, j are constants. What's y?

Physics news on Phys.org
This on its own is not actually a question in my assignment but it is a starting point I need to get the problem done.

Can you think of a function whose second derivative is proportional to it?

I know y is an exponential function with a multiplication constant out the front, just not sure what the argument of the exponential is.

Actually I know it's going to be the sum of two exponentials with different multipliation contants and one will have the negative argument of the other.

In other words I know it's in the form

y = Aexp(c) + B exp (-c), just not sure what the c is.

Since, the derivative is respect to x, why not try [itex]kx[/itex] where [itex]k[/itex] is a constant (it may be complex) for your argument? In fact, the general solution has two terms [itex]y(x)=Ae^{kx}+Be^{-kx}[/itex]. When you plug this into your DE, what do you get?

and k = sqrt (- h/j)?

so it is a complex argument as I was expecting because a complex exp can be written in terms of sines and cosines, whose 2nd derivative is their own negative.

Yes, exactly so you may as well write [itex]y(x)=Csin(\frac{h}{j}x)+Dcos(\frac{h}{j}x)[/itex]

Thank you, gabbagabbahey.

This is a ay''+by'+cy=0 problem which has been discussed to death on every DE book. One should be able to write down the results (when b^2-4ac>0,<0 and = 0) while sleeping.

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationships between an unknown function and its derivatives. They are used to model real-world phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved using various techniques, including separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. Advanced methods such as Laplace transforms and numerical methods can also be used.

3. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations (ODEs) involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations (PDEs) involve multiple independent variables. ODEs are also typically solved for a single unknown function, while PDEs can involve multiple unknown functions.

4. Can differential equations be used to model real-world problems?

Yes, differential equations are commonly used to model real-world problems in various fields. For example, they can be used to model population growth, motion of objects, and the spread of diseases.

5. Are there any applications of differential equations in everyday life?

Yes, there are many applications of differential equations in everyday life. For example, they are used in designing electrical circuits, predicting weather patterns, and optimizing financial investments.