How Do You Solve a Differential Equation Using Substitution Methods?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to simplify the differential equation dy/dx = (y/x-4)/(1-y/x) by considering a new function v(x)=y(x)/x. The speaker is confused about how to use the chain rule to find dv/dx and asks for help. Another person clarifies that it is not the chain rule, but rather the rule for differentiating a product of functions. The conversation concludes with the speaker now having a simpler differential equation in v as a function of x to solve.
fiziksfun

Homework Statement

i have the equation dy/dx = [tex]\frac{(y/x)-4}{1-(y/x)}[/tex]

i am told that v(x)=xy

and v=y/x

Express this using v, dv/dx, and xI can get dy/dx = [tex]\frac{(v)-4}{1-(v)}[/tex] but that's it

Homework Equations

??

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know how to do dv/dx

can anyone help. I am so confused?

Physics news on Phys.org
If y=Vx, then dy/dx = V+x(dV/dx)

[tex]V + x \frac{dV}{dx}= \frac{V-4}{1-V}[/tex]

make dV/dx the subject it now.

fiziksfun said:

Homework Statement

i have the equation dy/dx = [tex]\frac{(y/x)-4}{1-(y/x)}[/tex]

i am told that v(x)=xy

and v=y/x

Which of the two is it??

You are told that y is a function of x and that its derivative dy/dx satisfies

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{(y/x)-4}{1-(y/x)}[/tex]

But this differential equation is complicated. We would hope to simplify it by considering a new function v(x) that we would define as v(x)=y(x)/x so that the right hand side of the differential equation becomes

[tex]\frac{v-4}{1-v}[/tex]

like you said. So it is v=y/x that is useful for simplifying the equation, not v=yx.

To find dv/dx, use the chain rule. rock.freak667 gave you the answer but make sure you know how to obtain it yourself.

i don't understand how the chain rule applies in this situation!

help! how do i take the derivative of (v-4)/(1-v) with respect to x?? there is no x!

You are using implicit differentiation to get to what rock said, if you see how he got that, then just solve for dV/dx, at that point it's just a separable DE

fiziksfun said:
i don't understand how the chain rule applies in this situation!

help! how do i take the derivative of (v-4)/(1-v) with respect to x?? there is no x!

Sorry, it's not the chain rule, it's just the rule for differentiating a product of function. Anyway, you have expressed the right hand side of

[tex]
\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{(y/x)-4}{1-(y/x)}
[/tex]

as a function of v, which you have defined as v=y/x. Now you'd like to express the left hand side as a function of v also. So you compute

[tex]\frac{dv}{dx}=\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{y}{x}\right)=\frac{1}{x}\frac{dy}{dx}-\frac{y}{x^2}[/tex]

Solving for dy/dx gives you what rockfreak wrote and now you've got a simpler differential equation in v as a function of x to solve:

[tex]
v + x \frac{dv}{dx}= \frac{v-4}{1-v}
[/tex]

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It is used to model and describe the behavior of dynamic systems in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering.

2. How do I solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Some common techniques include separation of variables, integrating factors, and using power series. It is important to first identify the type of differential equation and then choose the appropriate method for solving it.

3. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, whereas partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. This means that a partial differential equation has more than one derivative, while an ordinary differential equation has only one.

4. Can differential equations be used to model real-world situations?

Yes, differential equations are commonly used in various scientific fields to model real-world situations. They can be used to describe the behavior of physical systems, chemical reactions, population dynamics, and many other phenomena.

5. Are there any software programs for solving differential equations?

Yes, there are many software programs, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Maple, that can be used to solve differential equations. These programs use numerical and analytical methods to solve differential equations and can handle complex systems with multiple variables and equations.