1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation Help

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

i have the equation dy/dx = [tex]\frac{(y/x)-4}{1-(y/x)}[/tex]

i am told that v(x)=xy

and v=y/x

Express this using v, dv/dx, and x

I can get dy/dx = [tex]\frac{(v)-4}{1-(v)}[/tex] but that's it

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't even know how to do dv/dx

can anyone help. im so confused?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

Homework Helper

If y=Vx, then dy/dx = V+x(dV/dx)

[tex]V + x \frac{dV}{dx}= \frac{V-4}{1-V}[/tex]

make dV/dx the subject it now.
  4. Jan 20, 2009 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which of the two is it??

You are told that y is a function of x and that its derivative dy/dx satisfies

But this differential equation is complicated. We would hope to simplify it by considering a new function v(x) that we would define as v(x)=y(x)/x so that the right hand side of the differential equation becomes

like you said. So it is v=y/x that is useful for simplifying the equation, not v=yx.

To find dv/dx, use the chain rule. rock.freak667 gave you the answer but make sure you know how to obtain it yourself.
  5. Jan 21, 2009 #4
    i don't understand how the chain rule applies in this situation!!

help!! how do i take the derivative of (v-4)/(1-v) with respect to x?? there is no x!!!
  6. Jan 21, 2009 #5
    You are using implicit differentiation to get to what rock said, if you see how he got that, then just solve for dV/dx, at that point it's just a separable DE
  7. Jan 21, 2009 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, it's not the chain rule, it's just the rule for differentiating a product of function. Anyway, you have expressed the right hand side of

as a function of v, which you have defined as v=y/x. Now you'd like to express the left hand side as a function of v also. So you compute

Solving for dy/dx gives you what rockfreak wrote and now you've got a simpler differential equation in v as a function of x to solve:

v + x \frac{dv}{dx}= \frac{v-4}{1-v}
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?