Finding the Maximum Spread of Rumors Using Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation is about finding the proportion of the population that has heard a rumor at the time when it is spreading the fastest. The participants discuss the steps to solve the problem, including setting the derivative equal to 0 and finding the second derivative, and come to the conclusion that the rumor is spreading fastest when 75% of the group knows about it. They also discuss the importance of choosing the correct root for the cubic equation and the initial condition.
Jameson
Gold Member
MHB
I don't know why, but I am stuck on this seemingly easy question. Here's the question and the work I've done.

---------------------
A certain model for spread of rumors states that [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 3y(3-2y)[/tex] , where [tex]y[/tex] is the proportion of the population that has heard the rumor at time [tex]t[/tex]. What proportion of the population has heard the rumor when it is spreading the fastest?

--------

Ok. You are given the derivative of the proportion function, so setting it equal to 0 will give you when it is changing the fastest/slowest. Solving the equation [tex]3y(3-2y) = 0[/tex] you get 0 and 1.5...

Next part is to find the original equation and evaluate it at 1.5. So I will need to separate the variables, and when I do I get:

[tex]\frac{1}{3y(3-2y)}dy = dt[/tex]

This integral (I did it on my calculator) is [tex]\frac{-\ln{\frac{\mid2x-3\mid}{\mid{x}\mid}}}{9}[/tex]

When I evaulate 1.5 I get [tex]\infty[/tex]

Help me please.
Jameson

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your procedure isn't quite right. Can you explain why the time when the proportion is changing fastest is when [tex]y^\prime = 0[/tex]?

Also you need an initial condition.

You need to take the derivative one more time before you set it equal to zero. You are maximizing dy/dt, not y.

edit: sorry that wasn't very clear--I should say take the derivative with respect to y, since they have given you dy/dt as a function of y.

Last edited:
Way to give away the answer to my question! :p

Alright then. So [tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} = 9 - 12y[/tex] and setting it equal to zero you get [tex] y = \frac{3}{4}[/tex]

Is my integral correct from my first post correct? So now I can just plug .75 in for y?

Can anyone give their thoughts to this question?

What is the initial condition?

Well, its been a day so I'd like to write this one up if you've moved on (it took me this long to figure it out so I couldn't help at the start). Can someone check it. I don't want to make mistakes.

The equation modeling rumor spread is:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 3y(3-2y)[/tex]

Separating variables and integrating from [itex]y_0[/itex] to y yields:

[tex]ln|{\frac{2y}{3-2y}}|=9t+k[/tex]

or:

[tex]y(t)=\frac{1}{2}[\frac{3e^{9t+k}}{1+e^{9t+k}}][/tex]

where:

[tex] k=ln|\frac{2y_0}{3-2y_0}|[/tex]

Since y is a proportion: [itex] 0<y\leq1[/itex], (assume y>0 since if no one knows the rumor at time 0 then it won't spread) the logarithm quantity is always positive and thus I can omit the absolute values.

A plot (for y(0)=0.1) is attached. Looking at the plot, one can see that the rate of y is fastest at the point of inflection, that is, when the second derivative is zero. But we know what the first derivative is:

[tex]y^{'}=9y-6y^2[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]y^{''}=9y^{'}-12yy^{'}[/tex]

or substituting in the first derivative:

[tex]y^{''}=72y^3-162y^2+81y=0[/tex]

Solving this cubic equation, yields the roots:

0, 3/4, and 3/2.

Since y is a proportion between 0 and 1, we take the root 3/4 and conclude the rumor is spreading fastest when 75% of the group knows about it. Using the logarithm version of the solution, we can plug in 0.75 and determine, for a specific initial condition, the time when this occurs.

Attachments

• rumor1.JPG
    rumor1.JPG
    3.6 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Ok, thanks to Daniel (from another post) I now understand why y cannot be 0 or 3/2: separating variables, one assumes that y can't be this since that would be dividing by zero. This is the reason we neglect absolute values and also why we must choose 3/4 as the root to the cubic. Yea, I know it's basic and in every Calculus text; I don't claim to be a wiz.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It describes the relationship between a function and its rate of change, and is often used to model real-world phenomena in science and engineering.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for understanding and predicting the behavior of complex systems. They are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology, to model and solve problems that involve varying rates of change.

3. How do I solve a differential equation?

The process for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Some common methods include separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. In some cases, differential equations can be solved analytically, while others may require numerical methods.

4. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in science and engineering. They are used to model and solve problems in mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and many other fields. They are also commonly used in economics, biology, and other social sciences to describe systems that change over time.

5. How can I get help with differential equations?

If you are struggling with differential equations, there are many resources available to help you. You can consult textbooks, online tutorials, or seek assistance from a tutor or professor. There are also various software programs and online calculators that can help you solve differential equations. It's important to practice and familiarize yourself with different methods and techniques to become proficient in solving these types of equations.