1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation Help

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1
    I don't know why, but I am stuck on this seemingly easy question. Here's the question and the work I've done.

---------------------
    A certain model for spread of rumors states that [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 3y(3-2y)[/tex] , where [tex]y[/tex] is the proportion of the population that has heard the rumor at time [tex]t[/tex]. What proportion of the population has heard the rumor when it is spreading the fastest?

--------

Ok. You are given the derivative of the proportion function, so setting it equal to 0 will give you when it is changing the fastest/slowest. Solving the equation [tex]3y(3-2y) = 0[/tex] you get 0 and 1.5....

Next part is to find the original equation and evaluate it at 1.5. So I will need to separate the variables, and when I do I get:

[tex]\frac{1}{3y(3-2y)}dy = dt[/tex]

This integral (I did it on my calculator) is [tex]\frac{-\ln{\frac{\mid2x-3\mid}{\mid{x}\mid}}}{9}[/tex]

When I evaulate 1.5 I get [tex]\infty[/tex]

Help me please.
    Jameson

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2005 #2
    Your procedure isn't quite right. Can you explain why the time when the proportion is changing fastest is when [tex]y^\prime = 0[/tex]?

4. Mar 16, 2005 #3
    Also you need an initial condition.

5. Mar 16, 2005 #4
    You need to take the derivative one more time before you set it equal to zero. You are maximizing dy/dt, not y.

edit: sorry that wasn't very clear--I should say take the derivative with respect to y, since they have given you dy/dt as a function of y.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  6. Mar 16, 2005 #5
    Way to give away the answer to my question! :p

7. Mar 16, 2005 #6
    Alright then. So [tex]\frac{d^{2}y}{dx^{2}} = 9 - 12y[/tex] and setting it equal to zero you get [tex] y = \frac{3}{4}[/tex]

Is my integral correct from my first post correct? So now I can just plug .75 in for y?

8. Mar 16, 2005 #7
    Can anyone give their thoughts to this question?

9. Mar 16, 2005 #8
    What is the initial condition?

10. Mar 17, 2005 #9

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, its been a day so I'd like to write this one up if you've moved on (it took me this long to figure it out so I couldn't help at the start). Can someone check it. I don't want to make mistakes.

The equation modeling rumor spread is:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = 3y(3-2y)[/tex]

Separating variables and integrating from [itex]y_0[/itex] to y yields:

[tex]ln|{\frac{2y}{3-2y}}|=9t+k[/tex]

or:

[tex]y(t)=\frac{1}{2}[\frac{3e^{9t+k}}{1+e^{9t+k}}][/tex]

where:

[tex] k=ln|\frac{2y_0}{3-2y_0}|[/tex]

Since y is a proportion: [itex] 0<y\leq1[/itex], (assume y>0 since if no one knows the rumor at time 0 then it won't spread) the logarithm quantity is always positive and thus I can omit the absolute values.

A plot (for y(0)=0.1) is attached. Looking at the plot, one can see that the rate of y is fastest at the point of inflection, that is, when the second derivative is zero. But we know what the first derivative is:

[tex]y^{'}=9y-6y^2[/tex]

Thus:

[tex]y^{''}=9y^{'}-12yy^{'}[/tex]

or substituting in the first derivative:

[tex]y^{''}=72y^3-162y^2+81y=0[/tex]

Solving this cubic equation, yields the roots:

0, 3/4, and 3/2.

Since y is a proportion between 0 and 1, we take the root 3/4 and conclude the rumor is spreading fastest when 75% of the group knows about it. Using the logarithm version of the solution, we can plug in 0.75 and determine, for a specific initial condition, the time when this occurs.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2005
  11. Mar 18, 2005 #10

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, thanks to Daniel (from another post) I now understand why y cannot be 0 or 3/2: separating variables, one assumes that y can't be this since that would be dividing by zero. This is the reason we neglect absolute values and also why we must choose 3/4 as the root to the cubic. Yea, I know it's basic and in every Calculus text; I don't claim to be a wiz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?