1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation HW

1. Jun 22, 2005 #1
    Hello, I have tried to solve the following problem but did not succeed to do so.

[y(y^3 - x)]dx + [x (y^3 + x)]dy = 0
    I sense that the key factor here is (y^3 - x ) and (y^3 +x), but could not figure out how to lead the equation to

dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x) form.

The general answer for the problem is 2xy^3 - x^2 = Cy^2.

Once I can change the equation to dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x) form, I can do the rest (probably anybody can...)

Thanks for your help in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2005 #2
    This is of the form f(xy)ydx +F(xy)xdy=0
    here the Integrating factor is ::
    [tex] \frac{1}{xy[f(xy)-F(xy)]}[/tex]
    and general Integral equation is ::
    [tex]\int \frac{f(xy)+F(xy)}{f(xy)-F(xy)} \frac{d(xy)}{xy} + log\frac{x}{y} = c[/tex]
  4. Jun 22, 2005 #3
    that looks awfully a lot like exact DE: you'll have to get partial derivatives and the whole nine yards. Try that.
  5. Jun 22, 2005 #4
    Well , there is an alternative if you use differentials
    d(xy)= ydx +xdy
    [tex]d(\frac{y}{x}) = \frac{xdy-ydx}{x^2}[/tex]

Here u can rearrange ur diff eqn to

:: y3 d(xy) + x3d(y/x)=0
    divide by y3 u will get the required answer after integrating
  6. Jun 22, 2005 #5
    Exact D.E.

I believe it is an exact DE since I have just learned that part. But when I did
    \partial M (x, y) / \partial y = 4y^3 - x and
    \partial N (x, y) / \partial x = y^3 + 2x so they are not the same.

But I could not find integrating facutor to make their answers equal. What should I do now?
  7. Jun 22, 2005 #6
    I will try that

Thank you "himanshu121". I will try that for now to see if I can understand that formula.

Well, I couldn't get it.

I have just started this differential equation class (independent). I thought I understood them well. However, when it comes to solve problems, I am experiencing a hard time. For example, this equation, I could not see why it Have some suggestion to improve my understanding?
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?