How can I improve my understanding of solving differential equations?

In summary, himanshu121 is having difficulty understanding an exact differential equation. He has started a new class and is looking for help understanding the equation.
Beez
Hello, I have tried to solve the following problem but did not succeed to do so.

[y(y^3 - x)]dx + [x (y^3 + x)]dy = 0
I sense that the key factor here is (y^3 - x ) and (y^3 +x), but could not figure out how to lead the equation to

dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x) form.

The general answer for the problem is 2xy^3 - x^2 = Cy^2.

Once I can change the equation to dy/dx + P(x)y = Q(x) form, I can do the rest (probably anybody can...)

Thanks for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is of the form f(xy)ydx +F(xy)xdy=0
here the Integrating factor is ::
[tex] \frac{1}{xy[f(xy)-F(xy)]}[/tex]
and general Integral equation is ::
[tex]\int \frac{f(xy)+F(xy)}{f(xy)-F(xy)} \frac{d(xy)}{xy} + log\frac{x}{y} = c[/tex]

Beez said:
[y(y3 - x)]dx + [x (y3 + x)]dy = 0
that looks awfully a lot like exact DE: you'll have to get partial derivatives and the whole nine yards. Try that.

Well , there is an alternative if you use differentials
now
d(xy)= ydx +xdy
and
[tex]d(\frac{y}{x}) = \frac{xdy-ydx}{x^2}[/tex]

Here u can rearrange ur diff eqn to

:: y3 d(xy) + x3d(y/x)=0
divide by y3 u will get the required answer after integrating

Exact D.E.

I believe it is an exact DE since I have just learned that part. But when I did
\partial M (x, y) / \partial y = 4y^3 - x and
\partial N (x, y) / \partial x = y^3 + 2x so they are not the same.

But I could not find integrating facutor to make their answers equal. What should I do now?

I will try that

Thank you "himanshu121". I will try that for now to see if I can understand that formula.

Well, I couldn't get it.

I have just started this differential equation class (independent). I thought I understood them well. However, when it comes to solve problems, I am experiencing a hard time. For example, this equation, I could not see why it Have some suggestion to improve my understanding?

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to represent the rate of change of a variable. Differential equations are commonly used in various fields of science and engineering to model and analyze complex systems.

2. What is the purpose of studying differential equations?

The study of differential equations allows scientists to mathematically model phenomena that involve change over time. This enables them to make predictions and understand the behavior of complex systems. Differential equations are also used to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. Other types of differential equations include linear and nonlinear, as well as first-order and higher-order equations.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. For simple ODEs, there are analytical methods such as separation of variables, substitution, and integration. For more complex ODEs and PDEs, numerical methods are often used, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. Software programs, such as MATLAB, can also be used to solve differential equations.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in science and engineering. They are used to model and analyze physical systems, such as the motion of objects, the spread of disease, and the flow of fluids. They are also used in economics to model population growth and in electrical engineering to analyze circuits. Additionally, differential equations are used in many other fields, including chemistry, biology, and finance.