Diff Eq Sign Error - Seeking Second Set of Eyes

In summary, the author is having trouble solving a differential equation and is asking for help. The problem is that the author has made an algebra error and is not able to move on until the error is fixed.
Saladsamurai
!For The Love of GOD! Diff Eq

Homework Statement

I have done this problem 3 times. I am getting a sign error somewhere and I cannot find it.

When I solve this DE and then plug it back into the original, it is not checking out! Can anybody see my error? I would really appreciate a second set of eyes here. Clearly I am at that point where I just keep seeing what I think I am supposed to see!
Picture1-6.png

Re writing the solution to the DE with the new constants is

[tex]x=-3/2\cos4t+3\sin4t+7/2\cos4t+1/2\sin4t=2\cos4t+19/4\sin4t[/tex]
[tex]y=3\cos4t-7/2\sin4t[/tex]

But when I differentiate and plug back into either if the originals, I am coming up with two sign errors...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
At one point in your solution you have:
[tex]4 k_1+ (-2- 4i)k_2= 0[/tex]
and then
[tex]k_1= \frac{-2- 4i}{4}k_2[/tex]
It should be
[tex]k_1= \frac{2+ 4i}{4}k_2[/tex]

HallsofIvy said:
At one point in your solution you have:
[tex]4 k_1+ (-2- 4i)k_2= 0[/tex]
and then
[tex]k_1= \frac{-2- 4i}{4}k_2[/tex]
It should be
[tex]k_1= \frac{2+ 4i}{4}k_2[/tex]

I do not understand why it should be positive? From the matrix I have [itex]4k_1+(-2-\lambda)k_2[/itex] where lambda=4i...unless I am interpreting matrices wrong??

Basic Algebra.

4K1 - (2+4i)k2 = 0
K1 = (2+4i)k2/4

Vid said:
Basic Algebra.

4K1 - (2+4i)k2 = 0
K1 = (2+4i)k2/4

Okay. Obviously I am misinterpreting how a matrix operates. Not how to do basic algebra.
I was just kidding, maybe that was inappropriate...my bad.

Last edited:
If the original equation was
x'=2x-5y
y'=4x-2y

To find the charectaristic equation I create this matrix thing...I don't know what it is called

[tex]
\left[\begin{array}{cc}2-\lambda & -5 \\ 4 & -2-\lambda\end{array}\right]=0[/tex]

Now if I plug in [itex]\lambda= 4i[/itex] to the 2nd row, how do you suppose I will get anything positive?

Saladsamurai said:
x'=2x-5y
y'=4x-2y

To find the charectaristic equation I create this matrix thing...I don't know what it is called

[tex]
\left[\begin{array}{cc}2-\lambda & -5 \\ 4 & -2-\lambda\end{array}\right]=0[/tex]

Now if I plug in [itex]\lambda= 4i[/itex] to the 2nd row, how do you suppose I will get anything positive?

Can anybody see what I am doing wrong in this procedure? What am I misunderstanding?

If I plug [itex]\lambda=4i[/itex] into [itex]-2-\lambda[/itex] why would I get 2+4i ?

I have five more problems similar to this and cannot move on until I clear this up.

Any help would be great!

Saladsamurai said:
x'=2x-5y
y'=4x-2y

[tex]

Saladsamurai said:
Can anybody see what I am doing wrong in this procedure? What am I misunderstanding?

If I plug [itex]\lambda=4i[/itex] into [itex]-2-\lambda[/itex] why would I get 2+4i ?

I have five more problems similar to this and cannot move on until I clear this up.

Any help would be great!

Kind of desperate here...

Do you still not see the glaring algebra error in the bottom left...?

Vid said:
Do you still not see the glaring algebra error in the bottom left...?

Thank you. That's all I needed...

Your K1 value is where the sign error is. Change it to what Hallsofivy did and solve again from there.

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time based on its rate of change. It involves derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a variable, and the equation itself can be used to predict future behavior of the quantity.

Why are differential equations considered difficult?

Differential equations can be difficult because they involve complex mathematical concepts and require a strong understanding of calculus. In addition, there are many different types of differential equations, each with its own unique properties and solving methods.

What are some real-life applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many areas of science and engineering, such as physics, chemistry, biology, economics, and engineering. They can be used to model and predict behavior in systems that involve continuous change, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

What are some techniques for solving differential equations?

There are several techniques for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and power series. Other methods include using Laplace transforms, numerical methods, and computer simulations.

How can I improve my understanding of differential equations?

To improve your understanding of differential equations, it is important to have a strong foundation in calculus and algebra. Practicing solving various types of differential equations and applying them to real-world problems can also help improve your understanding. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and working with a tutor or study group can also be beneficial.