Differential equation - looking for a minor mistake in my solution

In summary, the conversation discusses the spread of diseases by carriers and the removal of carriers from the population. It provides equations for determining the proportion of susceptibles and carriers in the population and finding the proportion of the population that escapes the epidemic. The summary also includes solutions for each part of the conversation, including a step-by-step explanation for finding the proportion of the population that escapes the epidemic.
DivGradCurl
Folks, I'm looking for a minor mistake in my solution. Any help is highly appreciated.

"Some diseases (such as typhoid fever) are spread largely by carriers, individuals who can transmit the disease, but who exibit no overt symptoms. Let [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex], respectively, denote the proportion of susceptibles and carriers in the population. Suppose that carriers are identified and removed from the population at a rate [tex]\beta[/tex], so

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt}=-\beta y \mbox{.} \qquad \qquad \mbox{(i)}[/tex]

Suppose also that the disease spreads at a rate proportional to the product of [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]y[/tex]; thus

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}=\alpha x y \mbox{.} \qquad \qquad \mbox{(ii)}[/tex]

(a) Determine [tex]y[/tex] at any time [tex]t[/tex] by solving Eq. (i) subject to the initial condition [tex]y(0)=y_0[/tex].

(b) Use the result of part (a) to find [tex]x[/tex] at any time [tex]t[/tex] by solving Eq. (ii) subject to the initial condition [tex]x(0)=x_0[/tex].

(c) Find the proportion of the population that escapes the epidemic by finding the limiting amount of [tex]x[/tex] as [tex]t \to \infty[/tex].

Answers:

(a) [tex]y=y_0 e^{-\beta t}[/tex]

(b) [tex]x=x_0 \exp \left[ -\frac{\alpha y_0}{\beta} \left( 1 - e^{-\beta t} \right) \right][/tex]

(c) [tex]\lim _{t\to \infty} x = x_0 \exp \left( -\frac{\alpha y_0}{\beta} \right)[/tex]"

My work:

(a) THIS ONE IS OK.

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = - \beta y\mbox{,} \qquad y(0) = y_0[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{dy}{y} = - \beta \int dt[/tex]

[tex]\ln \left| y \right| = -\beta y + \mathrm{C}[/tex]

[tex]\left| y \right| = \xi e^{-\beta t} \mbox{,} \qquad \xi = e^{\mathrm{C}}[/tex]

[tex]y = \xi e^{-\beta t}[/tex]

[tex]y(0) = y_0 \Rightarrow \xi = y_0 \Rightarrow y = y_0 e^{-\beta t}[/tex]

(b) I CAN'T FIND EXACTLY WHERE I MADE A MISTAKE DOWN HERE.

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \alpha x y \mbox{,} \qquad x(0) = x_0[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \alpha x y_0 e^{-\beta t}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x} = \alpha y_0 \int e^{-\beta t} \: dt[/tex]

[tex]\ln \left| x \right| = -\frac{\alpha y_0}{\beta} e^{-\beta t} + \mathrm{C}[/tex]

[tex]\left| x \right| = \theta \exp \left( -\frac{\alpha y_0}{\beta} e^{-\beta t} \right) \mbox{,} \qquad \theta = e^{\mathrm{C}}[/tex]

[tex]x = \theta \exp \left( -\frac{\alpha y_0}{\beta} e^{-\beta t} \right)[/tex]

[tex]x(0) = x_0 \Rightarrow \theta = x_0 \exp \left( \frac{\alpha y_0}{\beta} \right) \Rightarrow x = x_0 \exp \left[ -\frac{\alpha y_0}{\beta} \left( e^{-\beta t} -1 \right) \right][/tex]

(c) I CAN'T FIND EXACTLY WHERE I MADE A MISTAKE DOWN HERE.

[tex]\lim _{t\to \infty} x = x_0 \exp \left( \frac{\alpha y_0}{\beta} \right)[/tex]

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take the derivative of the answer given for x, and what you have for x. Just looking at it, it appears your solution satisfies the differential equation, and the given answer does not. Again, I just glanced at it, but I think that the "problem" in part c just follows from the "problem" in part b; the negative sign just carries over.

That's true, but I didn't expect it. Anyway...

If

[tex]x=x_0 \exp \left[ -\frac{\alpha y_0}{\beta} \left( e^{-\beta t} - 1 \right) \right] \mbox{,}[/tex]

then

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \alpha x_0 y_0 \exp \left[ -\frac{\alpha y_0}{\beta} \left( e^{-\beta t} - 1 \right) - \beta t \right][/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \alpha x_0 \exp \left[ -\frac{\alpha y_0}{\beta} \left( e^{-\beta t} - 1 \right) \right] y_0 e^{- \beta t}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = \alpha xy[/tex]

So, (b) and (c) are also correct!

Thanks

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more variables and their rates of change.

2. How do you solve a differential equation?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and the method of undetermined coefficients. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and choose the most appropriate method for solving it.

3. What is a minor mistake in the solution of a differential equation?

A minor mistake in the solution of a differential equation could be an error in algebraic manipulation, a missed step in the solution process, or a miscalculation. These mistakes can lead to incorrect solutions and should be carefully checked for and corrected.

4. Why is it important to find minor mistakes in the solution of a differential equation?

Finding minor mistakes in the solution of a differential equation is important because it ensures the accuracy and validity of the solution. Even a small error can lead to significant discrepancies in the final solution, so it is crucial to identify and correct any mistakes.

5. What are some tips for finding minor mistakes in the solution of a differential equation?

Some tips for finding minor mistakes in the solution of a differential equation include double-checking all calculations, looking for inconsistencies in the solution, and comparing the solution to known solutions or using a computer program to verify the solution. It is also helpful to have a clear understanding of the problem and the steps involved in solving it to better identify potential mistakes.