1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation, need help

1. Nov 1, 2008 #1

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Solve the following

(x+2y-1)dx +3(x+2y)dy=0

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I said that it was in form M(x,y) dx + N(x,y) dy=0

then found [itex]\frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{y}}[/itex] and similarly [itex]\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{x}}[/itex]

Meaning that it wasn't exact, but then tried to find the integrating factors, given that the equation wasn't exact. But in doing so, The formulas for the integrating factors didn't work out. Did I start this question wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2008 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your approach looks correct, why don't you show us your work so that we can see where you may have erred?

4. Nov 1, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What "formulas for the integrating factors" do you mean?

5. Nov 1, 2008 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

This is from my notes:

If [itex]\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{y}} \neq \frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x}}[/itex] i.e. not exact equation

Then an integrating factor is found as follows:

If (i)

[tex]\frac{\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{y}}- \frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x}}}{N}=f(x)[/tex]

Where f(x) is a function in x-only , then ef(x) is an integrating factor.

(ii)
    [tex]\frac{\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{y}}- \frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x}}}{M}= - g(y)[/tex]

then e+g(y) is an integrating factor

______________________________________________________________________________
    For (x+2y-1)dx +3(x+2y)dy=0

M= x+2y-1 so that [itex]\frac{\partial{M}}{\partial{y}}=2[/itex]
    N=3x+6y => [itex]\frac{\partial{N}}{\partial{x}}=3[/itex] Clearly [itex] 2 \neq 3[/itex]

But if I put it into either of the two previously stated formulas, I do not get a function in x only for (i) OR a function in y only for equation (ii)

6. Nov 1, 2008 #5

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There is an easier way to find the integrating factor in this case: In general, whenever [itex]M(x,y)[/itex] and [itex]N(x,y)[/itex] are homogeneous functions of the same degree, then [itex]\frac{1}{xM+yN}[/itex] is an integrating factor. So, are [itex]M(x,y)[/itex] and [itex]N(x,y)[/itex] homogeneous functions of the same degree in this case?

7. Nov 1, 2008 #6

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

M(x,y) isn't homogeneous since it doesn't involve terms in x and y only...
    N(x,y) is homogeneous of degree 1

8. Nov 1, 2008 #7

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hmmm.. yes, M is inhomogeneous so that won't work....What other methods have you been taught for finding integrating factors?

9. Nov 1, 2008 #8

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Those two are the only two equations which I know of when it is a non-exact differential equation.

10. Nov 1, 2008 #9

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

I think I got it out. All I needed to do was to put t=x+2y-1

11. Nov 1, 2008 #10

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This may be above the scope of your course; but let's look at the definition of integrating factors:

[itex]\mu(x,y)[/itex] is an integrating factor of the ODE [itex] M(x,y)dx+N(x,y)dy[/itex] if the ODE [itex] \mu(x,y)M(x,y)dx+\mu(x,y)N(x,y)dy[/itex] is exact. This means that [itex]\mu(x,y)[/itex]
    must satisfy the condition:

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}(\mu(x,y)M(x,y))=\frac{\partial}{\partial x}(\mu(x,y)N(x,y))[/tex]

Or, equivalently;

[tex]M(x,y)\frac{\partial \mu}{\partial y}-N(x,y)\frac{\partial \mu}{\partial x}=\mu(x,y) \left( \frac{\partial N}{\partial x}-\frac{\partial M}{\partial y}\right)[/tex]

In this case, we have:

[tex](x+2y-1)\frac{\partial \mu}{\partial y}-3(x+2y)\frac{\partial \mu}{\partial x}=\mu(x,y) \left( (3)-(2) \right)=\mu (x,y)[/tex]

Do you have any tools at your disposal that you could use to solve this PDE for [itex]\mu(x,y)[/itex]?

12. Nov 1, 2008 #11

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

hmmm... yes, that should work!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?