Differential Equation problem from Key Curriculum Press

In summary, we are given a memory retention problem where Paula meets 100 people per day and remembers 600 out of 700 people after 7 days. Based on this, we can write a differential equation and solve it using separation of variables to calculate the proportionality constant k. This can be done without using a calculator.
banglajihwan

Homework Statement

This problem is from Key Curriculum Press Calculus chapter 7, R3 e.

Question: Memory Retention Problem: Paula Lopez starts her campaign for election to state senate. She meets people at a rate of about 100 per day, and she tries to remember as many names as possibl. She finds taht after seven full days, she remembers the names of 600 of the 700 people she met.

i. assume that the rate of change in the number of names she remembers, dN/dt, equals 100 minus an amount that is directly proportional to N. Wrtie a differential equation that expesses this assumption, and solve the equation subject to the initial condition that she knew no names when t=0

I am not sure how to calulate the k value.

Homework Equations

solving differential equations using separation of variables and intergration

The Attempt at a Solution

using the method metioned above, I managed to get:
100/k (1-e^(-kt)) =N
because c= 100 --> using initial conditions
i got 0.045236 for k using the calculator (finding intersection point)
Is there any other way to calculate k without using the calculator?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing this interesting problem. I can provide some insight and guidance on how to approach this problem.

First, let's start by writing the differential equation based on the given information. We know that the rate of change in the number of names Paula remembers, dN/dt, is equal to 100 minus an amount directly proportional to N. This can be expressed as:

dN/dt = 100 - kN

where k is the proportionality constant. Now, to solve this differential equation, we can use the method of separation of variables. This involves separating the variables on either side of the equation and integrating both sides. This can be written as:

1/(100 - kN) dN = dt

Integrating both sides, we get:

ln(100 - kN) = t + C

where C is the constant of integration. Now, using the initial condition that Paula knew no names when t=0, we can substitute N=0 and t=0 into the above equation to solve for C. This gives us:

ln(100) = 0 + C
C = ln(100)

Substituting this back into our previous equation, we get:

ln(100 - kN) = t + ln(100)

Now, we can solve for k by taking the exponential of both sides:

100 - kN = e^(t+ln(100))

Simplifying this, we get:

100 - kN = 100e^t

Solving for k, we get:

k = (100 - 100e^t)/N

Finally, using the given information that after 7 days, Paula remembers 600 out of 700 names, we can substitute N=600 and t=7 into the above equation to solve for k. This gives us:

k = (100 - 100e^7)/600

Using this method, we can calculate the value of k without using a calculator. I hope this helps you in solving the problem. Good luck!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between an unknown function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives, which represent the rate of change of a function, to model real-world phenomena.

2. How are differential equations used in science?

Differential equations are used in science to model and understand a wide range of physical, biological, and social phenomena. They are particularly useful in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to describe the behavior of systems that change continuously over time.

3. What are some practical applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have many practical applications, including in engineering (e.g. circuit analysis and heat transfer), physics (e.g. motion of objects under the influence of forces), and biology (e.g. population growth and spread of diseases).

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable and its derivatives, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives. Partial differential equations are often used to model phenomena in multiple dimensions, such as heat diffusion in a three-dimensional object.

5. How can I solve a differential equation problem?

There are different methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the problem. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using differential equation solvers. It's also important to have a good understanding of the underlying physical or mathematical principles involved in the problem.