1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation Problem

1. Mar 5, 2006 #1
    hi, i am having trouble with this problem...

An apple cobbler is taken out of the oven at 7:00PM one Saturday night. At that time it is piping hot at 100C. At 7:10PM its temperature is 80C, and at 7:20pm, it is 65C. What is the temperature of the kitchen in which the apple cobbler is being held?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2006 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What have you tried so far?

4. Mar 5, 2006 #3
    To solve you may use Newton's law of cooling

[tex] \int_{T_{0}}^{T} \frac{dT}{T-T_{s}} = - \kappa \int_{t_{0}}^{t} d t^{\prime} [/tex]

where To is the initial temperature, Ts is the temperature of the environment (which is what we are after), k is a material constant, etc. Integrate both sides of this equation, and solve for T, and use the three boundary conditions to solve. You should get a reasonable answer for the room temperature. hope this helps, sincerely x

5. Mar 5, 2006 #4
    thank you for that, we recently learned about that in physics but for some reason i couldnt put 2 and 2 together, i was going in a completely different direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?