1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation problem

1. Feb 20, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    a) For what nonzero values of k does the function y = sin kt satisfy the differential equation y" + 9y = 0?

b) For those values of k, verify that every member of the family of functions y = A*sin kt + B*cos kt is also a solution.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I'm a little confused on what I need to do here. I can do problems where you have to show that every member of a family of functions is a solution of a differential equation (differentiate the function, then plug in the function into the differential equation, and see if they are the same). But I don't see how to use that in this problem.

Thanks for the help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2007 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, why not try differentiating the function, and plugging it into the equation. This will give you a condition for k such that y=sinkt is a solution.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?