1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation Problem

1. Jan 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Differential Equation Problem

Hi, I am having a problem with a question in my Differential Equations class.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two drivers (A and B) are going to race from a standing start. Both leave at the same time and both have constant accelerations. Driver A covers the last 1/4 of the track in 3 seconds while driver B covers the last 1/3 of the track in 4 seconds. Who wins and by how much?

I already found a solution on this site at:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=209021

I understand everything in his solution up until i get to this equation

[tex] \frac{1}{4}x = \sqrt{\frac{3a_ax}{2}}(3) + \frac{1}{2}a_a(9)[/tex]

I do not know how to solve for [tex]a_a \ in \ term \ of \ x:
    a_a = 0.0039887x; \ \ \ \ 0.77379x...(5)[/tex]

Can someone show me how this is done?

I was able to figure out how he solved this, I think my problem was that I was substituting a value for x, rather than just leaving it as x.

I used the quad. formula with:
    a = 324
    b = 252x
    c = x^2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The solution to the answer from the book is Driver B wins by [tex]6\sqrt{3} - 4\sqrt{6}[/tex] sec which is approximately 0.594 sec

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2008 #2
    Now that i figured out how he got his answer, is there another way to do this using integration? possibly using [tex]a = d^2 x / dt^2[/tex] ?

4. Jan 28, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You use integration to derive the result that x(t)=x(0)+x'(0)*t+(1/2)*a*t^2 from the differential equation of which you speak.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?