Solving Initial Value Problems and Finding Solution Ranges

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a one-parameter family of solutions to a differential equation and then finding specific solutions for given initial conditions. The general solution is found using the method of separation and then the range for which each solution exists is determined. The conversation also touches on the importance of using exact values rather than approximations.
roam

Homework Statement

Find a one-parameter family of solutions to the DE:

[itex]\frac{dy}{dt} = -y^3(t+1)[/itex]

Then find solutions to the DE that satisfies each of the following initial conditions y(0) = 2 and y(0) = -1, and give the range of t for which each solution exists.

The Attempt at a Solution

My main trouble is with the last part of the question which is very difficult. Here's my attempt so far:

I used the method of separation to get the general solution:

[itex]\frac{dy}{-y^3} = (t+1)dt[/itex]

[itex]\int \frac{1}{-y^3} dy = \int t+1 dt[/itex]

[itex]\frac{1}{2y^2} = \frac{t^2}{2} + t +c[/itex]

[itex]\frac{y^{-2}}{2} = \frac{t^2}{2} + t +c[/itex]

[itex]y(t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{t^2 + 2t + 2c}}[/itex]

We write the constant more compactly:

[itex]y = \frac{1}{\sqrt{t^2 + 2t + k}}[/itex]

Is this general solution correct?

Now I found the solutions to those initial conditions:

[itex]y(0) =2 \implies \ 2=\frac{1}{\sqrt{k}} \implies k=\frac{1}{4}[/itex]

[itex]y(t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{t^2 + 2t + 1/4}}[/itex]

[itex]y(0) =-1 \implies \ -1=\frac{1}{\sqrt{k}} \implies k=1[/itex]

[itex]y(t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{t^2 + 2t + 1}}[/itex]

How do I find the range for which each solution exists? I think for the first initial condition we must have that t2+2t+1>0, and that's only 0 when t = -1, so the range is [-1,∞)?

For the second one, we must have t2+2t+1/4 > 0, and it's only 0 when t=-0.133, -1.86. So what can we say about that?

I appreciate any guidance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are given the value at x= 0, which is between those two points at which the solution does not exist, your solution exists between those values of x.

By the way, the it is better to give the exact values, [itex](2- \sqrt{3})/2[/itex] and [itex](2+ \sqrt{3})/2[/itex] rather than "-0.133" and "1.86".

For your solution when k=1, why do you have [-1,\infty)?

If t = -1, you are dividing by zero.

What is wrong with the (-\infty, -1)?

(-2)^2-4+1>0 Is this true for the entire set?

Thank you very much guys, I got the right answer. :)

What is a differential equation problem?

A differential equation problem is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives. It is used to model real-world situations and find the relationship between a quantity and its rate of change.

How do you solve a differential equation problem?

The process of solving a differential equation problem involves finding a function that satisfies the equation. This can be done analytically or numerically using various methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using specific formulas for different types of equations.

What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in science, engineering, economics, and other fields. They are used to model physical phenomena such as motion, population growth, and heat transfer, as well as in designing control systems and predicting future outcomes.

What are the types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs) which involve a single independent variable, and partial differential equations (PDEs) which involve multiple independent variables. Other types include linear and nonlinear equations, as well as first-order and higher-order equations.

How do differential equations relate to calculus?

Differential equations are closely related to calculus, as they involve derivatives and integrals. In fact, they are often considered an extension of calculus, as they allow us to model continuously changing quantities rather than just static ones. Solving differential equations often requires knowledge of calculus concepts such as limits, derivatives, and integrals.