Calculating Constant C in a Differential Equation with Initial Condition

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation and determining the value of a constant in the solution. The solution involves using radians and integration by parts. It is important to always use radians in calculus as using degrees can make the formulas messy.
roam

Homework Statement

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1860/dequestion.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem is with the second part where it says find a solution to the DE that satisfies the initial condition x(π) = 2. I found the general solution to be

[itex]x(t) = \frac{1}{9 t} \ sin \ 3t - \frac{1}{3} \ cos \ 3t + \frac{c}{t}[/itex]

So when we substitute in we get

[itex]x(\pi) = 2 = \frac{1}{9 \pi} \ sin \ 3 \pi - \frac{1}{3} \ cos \ 3 \pi + \frac{c}{\pi}[/itex]

Now I need to solve for the constant C. So my question is: Do I need to calculate this using radians or degrees? I mean, should I have my calculators settings on degrees or radians? :confused:

By the way this is how I solved the DE:

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{x}{t} = sin \ 3t[/itex]

using the integrating factor

[itex]\mu (t) = e^{\int \frac{1}{t} dt}= k \ e^{\ln |t|} = t[/itex]

[itex]t \frac{dx}{dt} + t \frac{x}{t}= t(sin \ 3t)[/itex]

[itex]\int \frac{d}{dt} tx = \int t \ sin \ 3t[/itex]

Using integration by parts for the RHS

[itex]tx = \frac{1}{9} \ sin \ 3t - \frac{t}{3} \ cos \ 3t + k[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \ x(t) = \frac{1}{9 t} \ sin \ 3t - \frac{1}{3} \ cos \ 3t + \frac{c}{t}[/itex]

Is this correct? I think I solved it correctly, but I would still appreciate it if anyone could let me know if there are any mistakes. I'm a bit unsure because most of the DE solutions I've seen don't have a variable in the denominator like the 1/9t term.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi roam! :wink:

yes, your general solution is fine :smile:
roam said:
Now I need to solve for the constant C. So my question is: Do I need to calculate this using radians or degrees? I mean, should I have my calculators settings on degrees or radians? :confused:

you always use radians

always always always! :biggrin:

(though you shouldn't need a calculator for cos3π and sin3π :wink:)

roam said:

Homework Statement

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/1860/dequestion.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

My main problem is with the second part where it says find a solution to the DE that satisfies the initial condition x(π) = 2. I found the general solution to be

[itex]x(t) = \frac{1}{9 t} \ sin \ 3t - \frac{1}{3} \ cos \ 3t + \frac{c}{t}[/itex]

So when we substitute in we get

[itex]x(\pi) = 2 = \frac{1}{9 \pi} \ sin \ 3 \pi - \frac{1}{3} \ cos \ 3 \pi + \frac{c}{\pi}[/itex]

By the way this is how I solved the DE:

[itex]\frac{dx}{dt} + \frac{x}{t} = sin \ 3t[/itex]

using the integrating factor

[itex]\mu (t) = e^{\int \frac{1}{t} dt}= k \ e^{\ln |t|} = t[/itex]

[itex]t \frac{dx}{dt} + t \frac{x}{t}= t(sin \ 3t)[/itex]

[itex]\int \frac{d}{dt} tx = \int t \ sin \ 3t[/itex]

Using integration by parts for the RHS

[itex]tx = \frac{1}{9} \ sin \ 3t - \frac{t}{3} \ cos \ 3t + k[/itex]

[itex]\therefore \ x(t) = \frac{1}{9 t} \ sin \ 3t - \frac{1}{3} \ cos \ 3t + \frac{c}{t}[/itex]

Is this correct? I think I solved it correctly, but I would still appreciate it if anyone could let me know if there are any mistakes. I'm a bit unsure because most of the DE solutions I've seen don't have a variable in the denominator like the 1/9t term.

Always use radians in calculus. The formulas become quite messy if you use degrees. For example, if we measure the angle x in degrees we have (d/dx) sin(x) = (π/180)*cos(x) and (d/dx) cos(x) = -(π/180)*sin(x).

RGV

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah I see! Thanks a lot tiny tim and Ray for your responses, I get it now!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates a function to its derivatives. It describes how the rate of change of a variable is related to the other variables in a system.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are used to model and understand complex systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, biology, and economics. They are also used to make predictions and solve real-world problems.

3. What is the difference between an ordinary and partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) involves only one independent variable, while a partial differential equation (PDE) involves multiple independent variables. ODEs are used to describe systems that change over a single dimension, while PDEs are used to describe systems that change over multiple dimensions.

4. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically or numerically. Analytical solutions involve finding the exact functional form of the solution, while numerical solutions use algorithms and computer simulations to approximate the solution.

5. What are some applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of applications, including modeling population growth, predicting the motion of objects, analyzing electrical circuits, and studying chemical reactions. They are also used in fields such as signal processing, image processing, and control theory.