1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation problem

1. Sep 5, 2015 #1
    Solve the given differential equation by separation of variables.

(dy/dx)= (xy+3x-y-3)/(xy-2x+4y-8)

First, I noticed when i divided both sides by the left hand side and multiplied both sides by dx, nothing cancelled or seemed to work.

I got to thinking.

on the right hand side I preformed long division.

i divided xy+3x-y-3 by xy-2x+4y-8.

I get 1 + (5x-5y+5)/(xy-2x+4y-8)

(dy/dx)= 1 + (5x-5y+5)/(xy-2x+4y-8)

I am stuck here. Any help is welcomed and appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2015 #2
    I think a better approach is beginning instead by factoring the RHS. From there it should be clear how to solve via separation of variables.

4. Sep 5, 2015 #3
    wow, i over thought this problem. thanks a lot.

factoring the left hand side.

(y+3)(x-1)/(y-2)(x+4)

Left hand side= (y-2)/(y+3)dy

right hand side=(x-1)/(x+4)dx

then I integrate. the process is kind of lengthy, requiring trivial integration.

the answer is (x+4)^5=c(e^x)(e^-y)(y+3)^5.

I can't take you enough.

5. Sep 7, 2015 #4
    That looks like a correct implicit soln; you can also tidy up the RHS of your answer a little by applying some rules of exponents:
    \begin{equation} e^{x}e^{-y} = e^{x-y} \end{equation}

6. Sep 7, 2015 #5
    yes, you are correct. thanks a lot.

Do you recommended a an intro ode book?

we are using zill in our class, and it is a bit to chatty. The graphics make the layout of the book a little hard to read in my opinion and he is too loose ( doesn't really use mathematical language) in his explanations.

7. Sep 7, 2015 #6
    I wouldn't be able to help you there. I also used a text co-authored by Zill when I took differential ('Differential Equations with Boundary-Value Problems' by Zill and Cullen 7ed.) when I took differential.
    I saw a text by Ross recommended in the thread "How to self-study mathematics?" However, I haven't ever had the opportunity to see what it's like myself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted