Differential equation query

In summary: So the answer is a curve (in this case, a circle), and x^2 + y^2 = c is a more natural way of describing a curve.
fran1942
Hello, regarding the differential equation: "dy/dx = -x/y"
The general solution is y^2+x^2 = c.

I am wondering why it is expressed this way instead of "y=-x^2+c" ?
I thought you had to separate the x and y to opposite sides of the equation ?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
hello fran1942! :smile:

(you mean y = √(c - x2) :wink:)
fran1942 said:
… I thought you had to separate the x and y to opposite sides of the equation ?

no, there's nothing special about y …

the answer is a curve (in this case, a circle), and x2 + y2 = c is a more natural way of describing a curve :wink:

fran1942 said:

Thanks for any help.

dy/dx = -x/y
y*dy = -x*dx
y²/2= -x²/2 +C
y² = -x² +c (c=2C)
y²+x² = c

fran1942 said:

Well, it wouldn't be expressed that way because those are not at all the same!
I presume you meant [itex]y= \sqrt{c- x^2}[/itex]. The difficulty with that is that it is only "half" of the solution- the other half would be [itex]y= -\sqrt{c- x^2}[/itex].

Thanks for any help.
No, differential equations often have solutions that are not functions.

Hello, thank you for your question. The reason why the general solution is expressed as y^2+x^2 = c instead of y=-x^2+c is because this is a separable differential equation, meaning we can separate the variables and integrate each side separately. In this case, we can rewrite the equation as ydy = -xdx and then integrate both sides to get y^2/2 + x^2/2 = c. This is then simplified to y^2 + x^2 = c, as the constant c can be absorbed into the 2 in the denominator.

Separating the variables is a common method in solving differential equations, but it is not the only method. In some cases, it may be easier to solve the equation by keeping the variables on the same side. However, for this particular equation, separating the variables and integrating is the most straightforward approach. I hope this helps to clarify the reasoning behind the general solution. Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to express how a variable changes over time or space.

2. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, biology, and chemistry. They are used to model and solve problems involving rates of change and continuous processes.

3. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved using analytical or numerical methods. Analytical methods involve finding an exact solution while numerical methods use algorithms to approximate the solution.

4. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable whereas partial differential equations involve more than one independent variable. This makes partial differential equations more complex and difficult to solve.

5. What are the types of differential equations?

The three main types of differential equations are ordinary, partial, and stochastic. Ordinary differential equations involve derivatives with respect to only one independent variable, partial differential equations involve derivatives with respect to multiple independent variables, and stochastic differential equations involve random processes.