Differential Equation Question

In summary, the conversation involves proving the solution of a given differential equation and the desired solution. The person is struggling to solve the equation and is wondering if there is an easier method. However, it is mentioned that no integration is necessary and the equation needs to be modified to fit the given solution.
DaVikes84
I need to prove that the solution of this differential equation:

dx/dt = -x3 + 2*x + sin3(2*pi*t) - 2*sin(2*pi*t) + 2*pi*sin(2*pi*t)

has the solution:

ψ(t,0,0) = sin(2*pi*t)

I know that I need to get all of the x's on one side and the t's on the other then integrate, but I can't figure out how to get the x's and t's together. Is there a little trick or something to solving this?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
DaVikes84 said:
I need to prove that the solution of this differential equation:

dx/dt = -x3 + 2*x + sin3(2*pi*t) - 2*sin(2*pi*t) + 2*pi*sin(2*pi*t)

has the solution:

ψ(t,0,0) = sin(2*pi*t)

I know that I need to get all of the x's on one side and the t's on the other then integrate, but I can't figure out how to get the x's and t's together. Is there a little trick or something to solving this?

Thanks a lot.

No integration is necessary. All you would need to do is show that [tex]\psi' + \psi^3 - 2\psi = \sin^3(2\pi t) - 2\sin(2\pi t) + 2\pi\sin(2\pi t)[/tex]
which, unfortunately, is not the case; there needs to be [itex]2\pi\cos(2\pi t)[/itex] on the right instead of [itex]2\pi \sin(2\pi t)[/itex] for that to work.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives, which are rates of change, to model and predict the behavior of a system over time.

2. What are the types of differential equations?

The types of differential equations include ordinary differential equations, which involve a single independent variable, and partial differential equations, which involve multiple independent variables. Other types include linear differential equations, nonlinear differential equations, and first-order and higher-order differential equations.

3. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, biology, and chemistry. They are used to model and analyze systems that involve rates of change, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. In some cases, numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods may be used to approximate solutions.

5. What is the importance of differential equations in science?

Differential equations are crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of various systems in science. They allow us to model complex phenomena and make predictions based on the rates of change. Many scientific laws and principles, such as Newton's laws of motion and the laws of thermodynamics, are described using differential equations.