1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation Word Problem

1. Apr 9, 2012 #1
    I am having trouble starting this problem:

A tank is filled with 1000 liters of pure water. Brine containing 0.08 kg of salt per liter enters the tank at 9 liters per minute. Another brine solution containing 0.03 kg of salt per liter enters the tank at 9 liters per minute. The contents of the tank are kept thoroughly mixed and the drains from the tank at 18 liters per minute.

A. Determine the differential equation which describes this system. Let S(t) denote the number of kg of salt in the tank after t minutes. Then:
    dS/dt=?

Any help on how to start this would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi aves! welcome to pf! :wink:

show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

4. Apr 9, 2012 #3
    I am not even sure how to make the differential equation out of the word problem. I can do the rest from there, but I just can't figure it out.

5. Apr 9, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hint: in a small interval of time [itex] \Delta t > 0, [/itex] how many kg of salt enters the tank? How many kg of salt leaves the tank?

RGV

6. Apr 9, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok, let's start with the letters …

the question helps you on this, telling you to use "t" for time, in seconds, and S for the total weight of salt, in kg

now try translating into an equation the effect of …

7. Apr 9, 2012 #6
    Would it follow the general equation: S(t)=S0*e^(kt)?
    Where t is the time and S0 is the initial weight of salt (0.08 kg)?

8. Apr 9, 2012 #7

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

don't solve it

just write it! :rolleyes:

dS/dt = … ? :smile:

9. Apr 9, 2012 #8
    Would it be:
    dS/dt=0.72+0.27-18S/1000
    ?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook