Correct Solution to the Differential Equation?

In summary, the conversation is about solving a differential equation and the person is asking for help as they are unsure if their solution is correct. The given equation is 2x(1+y)dx/dy = 8 + x^2 and it needs to be rearranged. The correct solution is \frac{2x}{8+x^2}dx=\frac{dy}{1+y}."
mcintyre_ie
Hey,
I'd appreciate any help you can give with this question – I've already tried it but I don’t think my solution is correct. Any advice on where (or if) I went wrong?
Thanks in advance

The Question:
Solve the differential equation:

2x(1+y) dx/dy = 8 + x^2
if x = 2 when y = 3

My solution:
Solution
(Revised link)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The link doesn't allow me to access Still
u have
2x(1+y)dx/dy=8+x^2
It requires rearrangement

so u have
[tex]\frac{2x}{8+x^2}dx=\frac{dy}{1+y}[/tex]
Hope u will take it from here

Sorry about the bad link, i think I've fixed it now though.

Yup it is correct

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to solve for an unknown function.

2. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and analyze a wide range of real-world phenomena, including population growth, chemical reactions, heat transfer, and motion of objects.

3. How do you solve a differential equation?

The most common methods for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. There are also numerical methods, such as Euler's method, that can be used to approximate solutions.

4. What are the types of differential equations?

Differential equations can be classified as ordinary or partial, depending on whether they involve single or multiple variables. They can also be further categorized as linear or nonlinear, depending on the relationship between the function and its derivatives.

5. What is the importance of differential equations in science?

Differential equations are essential in understanding and predicting natural phenomena, making them crucial in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, and biology. They also serve as a foundation for many other mathematical concepts and techniques.