1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equation

1. Feb 23, 2004 #1
    this is for a lab, but i wrote down the wrong equation. the lab was about attaching a 200 gram mass to a spring. we had to displace it so many cm, and than release it. we had to measure the period of the oscillations. but we are supposed to compare this measured period with a period obtained from the solution of the appropriate differential equation. i wrote down this for the diff eq, but im not sure if its right

-kx -b(dx/dt)^2=m(d^2x/dt^2)

is this the correct one? and if it is, where can i find the solution to this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2004 #2
    The equation for undamped simple harmonic motion is:

[tex]m\!\stackrel{..}{x} +\, \omega_0^2x = 0[/tex]

It can be solved by attempting a solution of the form [itex]y = A\cdot \textrm{cos}(\omega x + \phi)[/itex]

cookiemonster

Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  4. Feb 23, 2004 #3
    this needs to include friction. thats the b*v^2. i cant find anything anywhere that has a differential equation with friction.

5. Feb 23, 2004 #4
    Just add a term:

[tex]m\!\stackrel{..}{x} +\, \omega_0^2x + b\!\stackrel{.}{x}^2 = 0[/tex]

cookiemonster

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?