1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation

1. Mar 2, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Write down the complementary solution [tex]y_c[/tex] and the correct particular solution [tex]y_p[/tex] in terms of its undetermined coefficients.

[tex]y^{'''}+y^{''}+3y^{'} -5y=x^2e^{x}+x^{2}e^{-x}cos(2x)+xe^{-x}sin(2x)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can easily find [tex]y_c[/tex] but I dont understand [tex]y_p[/tex].

The solution is:TRY:[tex](Ax^2+Bx+C)e^x+e^{-x}[(Dx^2+Ex+F)cos(2x)+(Gx^2+Hx+I)sin(2x)][/tex]. And then you would adjust the particular solution. How come The [tex]Gx^2+Hx+I[/tex] term is a quadratic? If I didnt know the solution I would have put is as Gx+H.

If you had a good site explaining undetermined coefficients, that would be awesome, I dont really like the way the book explains it.

Thanks alot.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why aren't you asking about the "Dx2+ Ex + F" as well? The answer is exactly the same:
    Since e-x cos(2x) and e-xsin(2x) are already solutions to the homogeneous equation, using (Dx+ C)cos(2x) and (Gx+ Y)sin(2x) would only give you "e-xcos(2x)" and "e-xsin(2x)", not "xe-xcos(2x)" and "x-xsin(2x)". Whenever a function already satisfies the homogeneous equation, you need to multiply whatever you would "normally try" by x.

(You don't actually need Dx2+ Ex+ F or Gx2+ Hx+ I. What you need is (Dx2+ Ex)e-xcos(2x) and (Gx2+ Hx)e-xsin(2x). Try those and see what happens.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?