1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential Equation

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the inital value first order linear differential equation

y'=y+x y(0) = 2

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

y'-y=x

That's as far as I got. I'm not sure how to approach this. I've looked through my notes and book, and I don't have any examples that are similar to this. I looked online and it said something about raising the coefficient of y to e, but I'm not sure what to do after.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2009 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

You should multiply by an exponential factor.
    y'-y=x
    exp(-x)y'-exp(-x)y=exp(-x)x
    (exp(-x)y)'=exp(-x)x
    Usually the exponential factor is of the form:
    if y'+f(x)y=g(x)
    then the exponential factor is:
    u=exp([tex]\int f(x)dx[/tex])
    Take the integral of xexp(-x) by parts, and then your'e done.

4. Feb 8, 2009 #3
    Hi; I tried using an integration factor, and using the initial value provided (y(0)=2), I arrived at a particular solution of [tex]y=x-1+3e^{-x}[/tex].

I just saw loop's reply above. The integration factor I obtained was [tex]e^x[/tex].

5. Feb 9, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

For the linear equation y'+ f(x)y= g(x), and integrating factor is a function m(x) such that multiplying by it, m(x)y'+ m(x)f(x)y= f(x)g(x), reduces the left side to a single derivative: (m(x)y)'. Since, by the product rule, (m(x)y)'= my'+ m'y= my'+ mfy, we must have m'= m(x)f(x) which is, itself, a separable differential equation: dm/m= f(x)dx so [itex]ln(m)= \int f(x)dx[/itex] and so [itex]m(x)= e^{\int f(x)dx}[/itex]. For this particular problem f(x) is the constant -1 so your integrating factor is [itex]e^{-x}[/itex], not [itex]e^x[/itex]. Multiplying the equation by [itex]e^{-x}[/itex], we have [itex]e^{-x}y'- e^{-x}y= (e^{-x}y)'= xe^{-x}[/itex]. Integrating both sides of that (the left side by parts, as loop quantum gravity said) you get [itex]e^{-x}y= -(x+1)e^{-x}+ C[/itex] or [itex]y= -x- 1+ Ce^x[/itex] and, since y(0)= 2, 2= -1+ C and C= 3.
    [itex]y= -x-1+ 3e^x[/itex]

Notice that if [itex]y= x- 1+ 3e^{-x}[/itex] then [itex]y'= 1- 3e^{-x}[/itex] while [itex]y+ x= x- 1+ 3e^{-x}+ x= 2x- 1+ 3e^{-x}[/itex] so your y does NOT satisfy the differential equation.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  6. Feb 9, 2009 #5
    Thanks for pointing out that mistake Ivy...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook