Solving a Differential Equation: Y''*Y^2=C with Real Number C

In summary, you can integrate the equation to get y in terms of x, but you need to take the constant of integration to get a smooth result.
gerechte23
Hi I've been striving to find the solution of this differential equation, but can't find: Y''*Y^2=C c being a real number. Please give me a hand with it. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Differential equations like this, which do not contain the independent variable, are called autonomous equations. Try:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_system_(mathematics )

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the source. I'll make my best to solve it. But i would like to have a person to help me with it though. I barely can use the internet. I am in Haiti.

Can u try helping me with it please!

You can get your first integral fairly easily. For this type of d.e. where x does not appear, you can define p = Y'. Then

[tex]Y'' = \frac{dp}{dx} = \frac{dp}{dY}.\frac{dY}{dx} = p\frac{dp}{dY}[/tex]

so you have a first-order equation in the variables p and Y.

You can integrate that but then you have to do a second integration. Except if you take the constant of integration zero you have a rather nasty square root I think, but it can be done; if you don't know how maybe someone will help if you come back with the first part.

hi buddy,
Thanks for your help. Actually, it's the very same method a man here has proposed to me. And i ended up having one equation where i have my Y on one side, and the variable x on the other.
When i kept integrating it gives me something with logarithm and square root with Y. i wanted to find Y in respect of x, but what i find is X in respect of y. i don't know how to calculate it so i find Y in respect of x. It's so weird and difficult to me cause i don't know any method that can help.
Later today i will post the result here so that you give me an idea. I don't have the papers with me now.

Thanks again, i thought i would find another method for it. i really appreciate your help

It sounds like you're on the right track. After you get x in terms of y, you need to invert this relation to get y in terms of x. Post what you have so we can see.

Here is the equation it gave me. I resolved it, i didn't expect to come to the internet so i didn't come with the papers, so is it right? [tex]\int\sqrt{\frac{y}{by-c}} dy = \int\sqrt{2} dx[/tex]. b and c are real numbers!

gerechte23 said:
Here is the equation it gave me. I resolved it, i didn't expect to come to the internet so i didn't come with the papers, so is it right? [tex]\int\sqrt{\frac{y}{by-c}} dy = \int\sqrt{2} dx[/tex]. b and c are real numbers!

I think so, at least I got the same result except I made a mistake you didn't. So on the right you have got x basically. (NB c is your given constant whereas b is an arbitrary constant.)

As I said you have to do a second integration - it is not clear to me whether you have, but you mentioned weird results which make it sound that you have. If you come back with more it shall be revealed to you, unless you twigged it already, how they are not weird as they may seem but quite to be expected and useful! :smile:

Last edited:

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It contains one or more derivatives of an unknown function and is used to model various real-world phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.

2. What are the types of differential equations?

There are three main types of differential equations: ordinary, partial, and stochastic. Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Stochastic differential equations incorporate randomness into the equation.

3. What is the order of a differential equation?

The order of a differential equation is the highest derivative present in the equation. For example, a first-order differential equation contains a first derivative, while a second-order differential equation contains a second derivative.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method for solving a differential equation depends on its type and order. Some techniques for solving differential equations include separation of variables, variation of parameters, and using Laplace transforms. Numerical methods, such as Euler's method, can also be used to approximate solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in a wide range of fields, such as physics, engineering, biology, and economics. They can be used to model the trajectories of projectiles, the growth of populations, the flow of fluids, and the spread of diseases. They are also used in financial models to predict stock prices and interest rates.