Differential Equation: (1+x)^2 dy/dx = (1+y)^2 | Homework Help

In summary, the conversation discusses solving the equation (1+x)^2 dy/dx = (1+y)^2 using variables separable and algebra. The final answer is y = (1+x)/[1+c(1+x)] -1.
shseo0315

Homework Statement

(1+x)^2 dy/dx = (1+y)^2

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The post I put up a while ago actually turns out to be the one above.

So far I'm not getting the right answer, please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can get everything involving x on one side, everything involving y on the other. Called 'variables separable'. Look up.

Edit - just as was your previous one I have now seen which you did manage to do!

Thanks.
But on the way, 1/(1+x^2)dx = 1/(1+y^2)dy
if I take an intergral, I get

-1/(x+1) + c = -1/(y+1) + c

This is 1/(x+1) + c = 1/(y+1) right?

The answer states that y = (1+x)/[1+c(1+x)] -1

I don't know how to get there.

shseo0315 said:
Thanks.
But on the way, 1/(1+x^2)dx = 1/(1+y^2)dy
if I take an intergral, I get

-1/(x+1) + c = -1/(y+1) + c

This is 1/(x+1) + c = 1/(y+1) right?

The answer states that y = (1+x)/[1+c(1+x)] -1

I don't know how to get there.

Right. You never really needed two c's. Just take your expression and use algebra to solve for y.

Inverse both sides to find y+1, and then just subtract one from both sides to solve for y.

Dick said:
Right. You never really needed two c's. Just take your expression and use algebra to solve for y.

from 1/(x+1) +c = 1/(y+1)

that is y+1+c = x+1 right

y(x) = x+c

this is what I get, but the answer is quite different

which is y = (1+x)/[1+c(1+x)] -1

shseo0315 said:
from 1/(x+1) +c = 1/(y+1)

that is y+1+c = x+1 right

y(x) = x+c

this is what I get, but the answer is quite different

which is y = (1+x)/[1+c(1+x)] -1

1 over 1/(x+1)+c isn't equal to (x+1)+c. Use correct algebra. Not just any algebra.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates one or more functions and their derivatives. It describes how a quantity changes with respect to another quantity.

2. What are the types of differential equations?

The main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations, partial differential equations, and stochastic differential equations. Ordinary differential equations involve only one independent variable, while partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Stochastic differential equations involve random variables and are used in modeling systems with uncertainty.

3. What are the applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, biology, and chemistry. They are used to model and analyze systems and phenomena that involve change over time, such as motion, population growth, chemical reactions, and heat transfer.

4. How are differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type and complexity of the equation. Some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and using differential equation solvers on computer software.

5. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they provide a powerful tool for describing and predicting the behavior of systems and phenomena. They are also used in developing mathematical models for real-world problems and are essential in many scientific and engineering fields.