Solving a Differential Equation: 2y(1+x^2)y' + x(1+y^2) = 0

In summary, the student attempted to solve the differential equation 2y(1+x2)dy/dx+x(1+y2)=0 where y = 2 when x = 0. However, they ran into trouble trying to solve for y when x is zero and ended up with an inverse function.
ProPatto16

Homework Statement

Solve the differential equation 2y(1 + x2 )y'+ x(1 + y2 ) = 0 where y = 2 when x = 0.
given answers are
a. (1 + x2 )(1 + y2 )2= 0
b. (1 + x2 )2 (1 + y2 ) = 25
c. (1 + x2 )2 (1 + y2 )2= 0
d. (1 + x2 )(1 + y2 ) = 0
e. (1 + x2 )(1 + y2 )2= 25

The Attempt at a Solution

2y(1+x2)dy/dx+x(1+y2)=0
2y(1+x2)dy/dx=-x(1+y2)
2y/(1+y2)dy = -x/(1+x2)dx

if i integrate these i end up with ln in the equations. so i don't know how to do it so it relates to the given answers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Exponentiate both sides to get rid of the log, and you should get one of the answers.

if i keep going from where i left off.. after integrating you get:

ln(1+y2) = - ln(1+x2)/2

then taking off log of both sides leaves

(1+y2) = -(1+x2)/2

take all onto one side gives:

2(1+y2)+(1+x2)

where did i go wrong?

If you are given answers to select from, you don't need to integrate at all. Just put each of the possible answer into the equation and see if it satisfies it!

"Taking the log off" both sides of [itex]ln(1+y^2)= ln(1+ x^2)/2[/itex] does NOT give "[itex]1+ y^2= (1+ x^2)/2[/itex]: the "2" in the denominator is not inside the logarithm. Instead, write it as [itex]ln(1+ y^2)= ln((1+ x^2)^{1/2})[/itex] so that [itex]1+ y^2= (1+ x^2)^{1/2}[/itex] or [itex](1+ y^2)^2= 1+ x^2[/itex].

haha i have to show how i got every answer, mathematically. otheriwse yeah id trial and error the questions i couldn't do.

the denominator there is where i thought i went wrong.

i think i know the answer but its that one sign i can't get rid of.

from the start:

2y(1+x2)dy/dx+x(1+y2)=0
2y(1+x2)dy/dx=-x(1+y2)
2y/(1+y2)dy = -x/(1+x2)dx
then integrate
ln(1+y2) = - ln(1+x2)/2
which becomes
2ln(1+y2) = - ln(1+x2)
take 2 and into logarithm
ln((1+y2)2) = - ln(1+x2)

waittt... ifi take -1 into logarithm then i get an inverse funtion, which will get rid of the plus/minus sign...

then sub in y=2 and x=0

Thanks!

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to describe how a system changes over time.

2. What are the types of differential equations?

The main types of differential equations are ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve derivatives with respect to a single independent variable, while PDEs involve derivatives with respect to multiple independent variables.

3. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model various physical phenomena, such as population growth, heat transfer, and electrical circuits. They are also used in fields such as economics, biology, and engineering to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems.

4. How are differential equations solved?

There are several methods for solving differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, and series solutions. Advanced techniques, such as Laplace transforms and numerical methods, are also used to solve more complex differential equations.

5. What is the importance of differential equations in science?

Differential equations are essential in science as they provide a way to mathematically model and understand the behavior of complex systems. They allow us to make predictions about the future behavior of systems and to optimize their performance. Many scientific discoveries and advancements have been made possible through the use of differential equations.